Chisora and Haye’s Post-Fight Fracas Illustrates the Worst of British Boxing

It all seemed the perfect prelude to an ultimate showdown when Dereck Chisora asserted to Adam Booth, the trainer of his fellow British heavyweight boxer David Haye,: “Either we do it in the ring or outside of the ring. Because I want him.”

When most people suffer any kind of humiliating defeat, the norm is to keep a low profile for a while until the aftermath subsides (presumably we won’t be hearing much from Tottenham Hotspur this week). Not so for these two. They went down a different route, deflecting the attention from the Klitschko brothers’ superiority and onto their own petty differences.

In a scene straight from the school playground, Haye taunted Chisora, who failed to rise above it and a scuffle ensued, which culminated in blood pouring from Booth’s head and garbage pouring from Chisora’s mouth.

“He glassed me!” hollered the Zimbabwean-born fighter, clutching a glass bottle in his own hand and avoiding Booth’s question as to whose ‘glassing’ had spilled his blood.

Utterly pathetic doesn’t even begin to describe the behaviour of the best heavyweight boxers Britian has had to offer in the last few years. As Vitali Klitschko, Chisora’s conqueror, looked on, he could barely contain his laughter; most probably including some bemusement that these two children are just about the best he and Wladimir have by way of competition.

God only knows what he must think of British sport, for which Haye and Chisora are ambassadors. Having observed Wladimir being subjected to personal insults by Haye and spat at by Chisora, as well as being victim himself of a childish slap at his weigh-in with the latter, it would be difficult to blame him for thinking all British athletes are this shameful.

Indeed, Vitali has unsurprisingly expressed his desire to meet them both in the ring, wanting to teach each of them a resounding lesson in humility, and in boxing, by knocking them out. But, in ruling out this possibility, his manager Bernd Boente summed up the feeling in the Klitschko camp by saying: “With the bad experience we’ve had with British fighters, we will now look for other countries.”

So with the Klitschkos out of the question, what will be next for the two shamed Britons?
Many have interpreted their set-to as a cheap publicity stunt to fuel the fire in the build-up to a potential clash between them, especially given Chisora’s concluding remarks. Perhaps they have Frank Warren’s suggestion in mind, that the victor of their bout goes on to have another shot at Vitali.

It would make for a great spectacle, with the public well aware of the ill feeling between the two and what the fight would mean to each of them – even though it would inevitably be an anticlimax, with Haye cruising to success.

But would it be right to allow these infantile delinquents to even do that? What their encounter has done for the integrity of boxing, particularly British boxing, is unforgiveable.
Haye was (somewhat justifiably) criticised for his approach by Boente, and responded by spitting his dummy out, baiting Klitschko and then Chisora, when he retorted “how’s your toe?” Chisora, in turn, reacted to Haye’s gibes by spitting his own dummy out, and the resultant fracas was the opposite of what boxing, or indeed any sport, stands for.

Rather than making an example of them, the British Boxing Board of Control could do worse than follow their example: by spitting the dummies out of the sport. By denying them a licence to ever fight in the ring again, the British board could help boxing to retain its integrity – as per the request of the German Boxing Federation.

This incident is a far cry from the days of Muhammad Ali. While he undoubtedly changed the face of the sport so that, as now, it is more about the clash of personalities and the build-up than the bout itself, he did it with wit and charisma. And, more importantly, he was a gentleman as well as a character: when his great nemesis ‘Smokin’ Joe Frazier died, Ali said: “The world has lost a great champion. I will always remember Joe with respect and admiration.” Can you imagine Haye ever offering such praise to an opponent – rather than complaining about his sore toe? Even in victory, Haye would never be so gracious.

The most iconic figure in British boxing history, the late Sir Henry Cooper, would turn in his grave if he knew that boxing in this country had come to this. He and Ali epitomise what the sport should be about; whereas Haye and Chisora have done nothing but bring shame upon themselves and boxing as a whole.

Wladimir Klitschko articulated this point himself, saying that: “This type of behaviour kills the hard work of former champs. And it teaches disrespect for the sport and fellow human beings.” While he is perhaps still smarting from the flagrant disrespect Chisora showed in spitting in his face, he is absolutely correct. The Klitschko brothers are worthy champions and model professionals, never engaging in any nonsense and letting their fists do the talking. The sport may arguably be the duller for it, but at least they have dignity and respectability.
Haye and Chisora, on the other hand, should not be given the chance to tarnish boxing’s reputation even further. Granted, Booth has declared that, contrary to speculation, Haye will not be coming out of retirement. Nevertheless, such a strong punishment would really emphasise that the authorities will not tolerate such disgraceful behaviour.

The fact that, unlike Chisora, he is still yet to apologise for his part in the brawl, should be the final nail in the coffin of his career, while Chisora’s fate should be sealed beyond dispute by his disgusting conduct in the build-up to his showdown with Vitali.

After all, it is an adult’s game – not one for petulant, immature kids.