Warwick comes 51st in Student Sex Survey 2011

A [survey](http://www.studentbeans.com/student101/relationships/the-student-sex-survey-results1238.html) conducted by studentbeans.com has found that Warwick students are not as sexually promiscuous as those at other universities, ranking 51st out of 61 universities asked with an average of 4.3 sexual partners.

Studentbeans.com, a website offering articles, discount vouchers and other online media specifically for students, carried out the Student Sex Survey 2011 online in May. A total of 2,818 students across the UK took part.

Whilst Warwick came near the bottom of the table, the table was topped by the University of Glamorgan, with an average of 10.9 sexual partners. The University of Wales Institute, Cardiff and the University of Brighton narrowly missed out on the top spot, with an average of 10.6 and 9.5 sexual partners respectively.

Swansea University and City University London made up the bottom of the table with 3.3 and 3.1 sexual partners respectively.

The survey also included other aspects of students’ sexual health, revealing that 54 per cent of female students who participated had taken the morning after pill. Further, 38 per cent of students asked had never been tested for an STI, despite 35 per cent admitting to having at least one one-night stand since starting university.

Students’ Union (SU) Welfare Officer Leo Boe said: ‘We really shouldn’t judge people on how promiscuous they are; the important thing is to be aware of safe sex practices – because STIs really can effect anyone – as well as to know about how to get tested for STIs.

“At Warwick we have tried to have a rolling sexual health awareness campaign which comes mainly in the form of the GUM clinics. Both Warwick SU and the NHS acknowledge that it is worth doing, and we may do another before the end of term.”

Matthew Latchem, a second-year English Literature student commented: “I’m ashamed; Warwick seriously needs to up its game.”

However, Biomedical Science student Findlay Copley said: “I’m not really surprised – maybe we’re just more concentrated on our studies than on sticking things in other things.”

The GUM clinic, a free and confidential sexual health service provided by Warwick SU and NHS Coventry, is running on Tuesday 24 May from 12pm until 6pm in Copper Rooms 2.