Warwick’s golden boy scoops success

This year’s British Council International Student of the Year (West Midlands region), Divesh Hiranandani, is, on the surface of it, everything you would expect of a typical Asian student at Warwick. He does One World Week for starters. He studies Business and Mathematics, and he’s liable to break into a Bollywood-style dance at the drop of a hat. He also works half a dozen jobs on campus, earning enough to cover half of his accommodation fees and full costs for his maintenance. The Boar talked to him to show you that studying overseas can be more of an opportunity for independence and self-reliance than you could have imagined.

**What jobs do you work? How did you find out about these opportunities?**
-I bartend at the Arts Centre, I’m a Campus Tour Guide and Open Day Helper, an Arts Centre Steward, a Warwick Conferences Assistant, a Student Caller for the Alumni Association, and an Accommodations Assistant. I started with Student Calling and it snowballed from there, but really, information on job opportunities is out there for anyone who’s looking. It’s not just about making money – the experience is invaluable.

**How important was your work experience in winning the award?**
-The British Council celebrates the achievements of international students and their contributions to life in the UK. The application process was simple – I just had to write a letter ‘home’ telling a family member, teacher or friend about my experiences in the UK. I surprised myself by beating some pretty stiff competition from Warwick, Birmingham and neighbouring universities, and now I’m in the running for the national award!
**How do you manage your studies alongside all that?**
– I make sure I enjoy myself with whatever jobs I take on, so working is really just time off from studying. Okay, to be honest, my attendance was miserable in my first year. But I’ve upped that to more than 80 per cent in my final year! Time management is a miracle worker!

**Sounds like you’re a workaholic!**
-Workaholic, alcoholic… I’ll leave the rest of my addictions to your imagination. But there’s time enough for everything, really. One thing I don’t do is lie around in bed watching YouTube. Procrastination bores me. Some people like gymming, some people like dancing, I like fundraising (laugh). I’ve raised £15k from Warwick graduates for the Alumni Office, and over £500 by sky-diving for international. It’s a strange talent, but oddly useful.

**What do you do for fun?**
-I have my own show playing Asian lounge music on Warwick RaW, because music is really something that connects people from across the globe. On a completely different level (literally), I handle marketing for the Krishna Consciousness society. It’s ironic that I learnt way more about my religion in rural England than I did from my weekly temple visits in Bombay.

**How has the University of Warwick supported all your interests?**
-It’s the people at Warwick who’ve supported it. They have a respect for individuals from all over the world that makes you feel like you’re part of the family. I don’t mean to sound sentimental, but there’s so much support for students. The cosmopolitan atmosphere empowers you to believe you can make a difference, and have a good time while you’re at it.

**Do you have any parting words of advice?**
-Just be fearless, and learn to experiment. At the end of the day, we’re still at university. The mistakes we make won’t have the consequences they will when we’re in the ‘real world.’ Although graduation is around the corner, we never cease to learn!