Malaysian Students Association chase world record for charity

Warwick University Malaysian Students Association (MSA) will this Friday aim to fill the 1500 capacity Butterworth Hall, raising money for St. Johns Ambulance and the Red Cross, with the call to all students being “Let’s make history.”

The night is designed to be a extravaganza, featuring a controversial play on contemporary Malaysian history, reputedly one of the best Dikir Barat (synchronised dancing and drumming) teams in the UK and a late night after-party including authentic
cuisine and popular Malaysian artists.

Invitations have been given to Guinness World Records, who could judge it officially the biggest Malaysia Night event ever to be held in the UK, the Malaysian High Commissioner, His Excellency Datuk Mohammed, The Lord Mayor of Coventry, Brian Kelsey, and several Malaysian education attachés. Already confirmed attendees are a representative for the University Vice Chancellor, Nigel Swift, and 40 members of the Regimental Association for Malaysia (soldiers who served in the country during military conflicts) who will be attending in full army uniform.

Although Malaysia Night is a cultural event celebrated nationwide at this time of year by all university Malaysian societies, Warwick has had an outstanding reputation in recent years for delivering one of the best – second only to Imperial College London officially. But for the mastermind behind this year’s event, second-year undergraduate and MSA President Paul Yung, second is not good enough.

Planning for this spectacle began last April, virtually as soon as he had secured the top position in the society, and by early May plans such as script-writing for the play had already begun. In the last week, dress-rehearsals have been taking place and a publicity blitz has been specifically targeting non-society members to come and experience what they hope will be an “unforgettable” evening.

When the _Boar_ spoke to Mr Yung, he was bullish about the success of the event and lauded the support of society members, “The big point of university is to learn about different cultures”, he said, “and Warwick is a very diverse University [culturally]… Students will see this event and think ‘Why not? It’s happening at our doorstep’”.

He added, “[back when he joined the society] Members didn’t believe in themselves… I had to change things, like have one social each week… [this Malaysia Night event] has a lot to do with the confidence and belief of the members”.

It is undisputed that the MSA are committed to the event. There are nine people on the organizing committee and there will be over a hundred MSA members performing on Friday in spite of the fact that the society has around 500 members at present and only 15 percent of which are international students.

Speaking to some students planning to attend on Friday, the overriding theme was exactly what Yung desired – cultural curiosity. Megha Harjani, a first year Economics, Politics and International Studies undergraduate, said: “It’s going to be a lot of fun… it combines a lot of art forms, very eclectic,” adding: “I love Malaysia, [Malaysia night] is a really big event back in Dubai [where I come from].”

Saad Sibtain, a first-year studying Accounting and Finance, said he wanted to come “because I’ve got a lot of friends from Malaysia… [Malaysians] have got warmth and friendliness”. Furthermore he also commented: “Warwick Malaysian Society is one of the biggest at the University – it should easily break the record”.

Shreena Sonecha, a first-year Law student pointed to Warwick’s current cultural pedigree. “One World Week is a really big event itself… I’ve been to Malaysia Night before… it will be really cool”.

Warwick University Malaysia Night will begin at 7.30pm this Friday with the aforementioned play about one of Malaysia’s darkest days; 13 May 1969, where race riots in Kuala Lumpur broke out causing the deaths of hundreds and lasting two months.

“I think we can talk about it as adults”, said Yung, discussing why he chose the topic. “The play is about racial equality, unity and standing up what you believe in, which is important for all students nowadays”.

This will be followed by the Dikir Barat, best explained as 50 people sitting down in rows and performing “co-ordinated hand movements with drums”. The event finishes with singing and dancing routines from Malaysia, before the after-party begins at 10.30pm.