Radio at Warwick sweeps national awards

RaW, the Warwick student radio station, have won six awards at the Student Radio Awards, held at Indig02 in London. The event, held on 24th November and hosted by Radio 1 DJs Fearne Cotton and Scott Mills, was attended by around 30 members of the RaW team and was Warwick’s best win since 2003.

Notable awards – those that won gold – included Best Scripted Programming for radio soap Slow Hands, awarded to Tash Collie, and Best Female, awarded to Julie Ann Lough. The Big Chewsie – a popular radio show from last year – did especially well, winning the Best Entertainment trophy and the Kevin Greening Award. Silver awards were given to Tom Goble and Julie Ann Lough.

Former RaW station manager and previous gold award winner Ben Anderson commented, “Broadcasting from a temporary location has been less than ideal, so to come away with four golds and two silvers is something to be very proud of.” RaW is currently based in University House, as their former home in the Students’ Union is undergoing reconstruction as part of the Union rebuild. RaW member Das Shah added, “I’m really proud to have been a member of RaW and think that even those who didn’t win last night were incredible last year”.

The event is organised by the Student Radio Association and is supported by BBC Radio 1 and PPL, a music licensing company, and is now in its 14th year. The competition was judged this year by a panel including Huw Stephens and Matt Fisher of Radio 1 and Nottingham University graduate and winner of the Best Male in 2000. Andrew Bradley, president of Warwick’s Students’ Union, was greatly pleased with the result, offering “many, many congratulations to all involved”.