Warwick strengthens ties with Venice

Warwick is further immersing itself in Venetian culture after an agreement last week with the Universita’ Ca’ Foscari which includes sharing resources and allowing students to take courses at both universties.

Warwick already have their own headquarters at the fifteenth Century Palazzo Pesaro Papafava, close to the Rialto Bridge which is available to all Warwick departments, but is chiefly recognised for its work with the history and history of art departments.

A significant number of their Italian and Renaissance-studying students are sent over to Italy in the first term of their third year to improve their language skills and understanding of their degree course as a whole.

Going to Venice is a hugely popular option for these final year students and this new collaboration with Ca’ Foscari means far more facilities will be available to those on the Renaissance stream.

Significant added benefits will be the use of the Venice university’s library and the opportunity to participate in a wide array of language courses alongside local students.

In turn, undergraduates at Ca’ Foscari will be able to take advantage of Warwick’s history of art and history classes, something which both institutions hope will lead to more integration between Warwick students and local Italians.

However, it is not just students who will be able to benefit from this arrangement. Staff at both universities will spend time at their partner institution, attending research seminars and lending their skills to each other.

It is thought that this will lead to the development of collaborative research projects which both campuses could profit from.

Chair of Warwick’s Venice Academic Advisory Committee Professor Anne Caesar Professor Ann Caesar, said, “this agreement will enrich the cultural experience of students from both universities, as well as offering great opportunities for researchers to share ideas and best practice.”

Considering that Warwick has been actively involved in promoting links with Venice for over forty years – indeed, almost as long as the English campus’ existence – there is little doubt that this new arrangement will make the relationship stronger than ever.