Warwick Atheists help to go national

Warwick Atheists became one of the 12 founding members of The National Federation of Atheist, Humanist and Secular Student Societies (AHS for short) which celebrated its launch in London on the 19th February. In attendance were secular luminaries such as Richard Dawkins, A C Grayling, Norman Ralph and Polly Toynbee.

The federation has been set up to provide a national voice for atheist, secular and humanist societies as well as support and resources.

Warwick Atheist society is one of the federation’s founding members along with Durham University Humanist Society, Oxford Secular Society and Southampton Atheist Society, to name a few.

Francesca Bull, Social Secretary for Warwick Atheists described how Warwick Atheists will play a leading role in the new society. “In June the Warwick Atheists hope to host the annual AGM and Secular Student Conference. And like every member society, Warwick Atheists have two members on the AHS executive committee.”

Speaking in the Guardian, Oxford fellow and philosopher A C Grayling said, “I wish the new federation well, warmly applaud the initiative that has brought it into existence, and feel happier about the future as a result.”

Richard Dawkins, speaking at the launch, said that there is an “enduring assumption that religious belief does not have to earn respect like any other view…. The AHS says publicly that it isn’t; on the contrary, beliefs that are unsupported, bigoted or demand special privileges should always be challenged.”

Warwick Atheist society’s experience after their dispute with the Students’ Union last year was even seen by journalist Sue Blackmore as a reason for the launch of AHS.

Controversy occurred when Warwick SU revoked the Best New Society Award after there were objections about a poster the society put up showing religious symbols being tipped into a rubbish bin. Warwick Atheist society then won an appeal which gave them back their award but not the prize money.

However, Sue Blackmore described the incident as “truly scary” and concluded her article by applauding the AHS’s launch.

President of Warwick Atheists Stuart Pilbrow added to this by saying that AHS’s “member societies have faced considerable opposition. Many of us are constantly having posters graffitied and ripped down. Leeds Atheists have even had their £50 banner defaced and have received death threats.”

Francesca Bull concluded that, “Since 2006 there has been a marked increase in atheist, humanist and secular student societies across the country. This alone suggests that many non-religious students are not content with remaining quiet, but wish to have their views represented.

“A national movement will be far more effective than individual societies in promoting humanist values, challenging religious privilege, and encouraging rational debate and enquiry.”