Hall redevelopment remains on schedule

Alan Rivett, the Arts Centre director, is confident that the Butterworth redevelopment will be finished on time and within budget, in spite of the fact that “both costs and timescale are very tight”; Rivett puts this down to the team of contractors and project managers involved in the operation as well as the University, whose commitment to the cause he cites as “tremendous”.

However, despite the generous donations towards the completion of the project – from students and those outside the University alike – the renovation of the Butterworth Hall has drawn criticism from some quarters. Despite Rivett’s protestations to the contary, it has been claimed that there is an outstanding sum of £1.25 million to be raised. However, £80,000 has been raised so far, having been kindly donated by “individuals”. According to Alan Rivett, although the box office for the Butterworth concert hall is closed, the overall loss will not detrimentally affect either the Arts Centre or the University as a whole.

And, certainly for lovers of the arts and culture, the development is surely an exciting prospect, one which Rivett is hugely enthusiastic about – and it seems to be far more than a straightforward renovation. “The new space we are building will be a creative engine, not just for the Arts Centre, but also for the wider campus community and the vast array of creative work we engage with in the locality”. Rivett also expressed his appreciation for the students of Warwick and cited the breadth of student creativity in the Music Centre and the inventiveness of Warwick students on display at the Warwick Students’ Arts Festival as two particularly impressive examples of the musically creative University. Similarly, he feels that the autumn 2009 opening will be a fabulous opportunity to witness “the work of superb artists right on the doorstep”. Rivett would not give away any of the details for the reopening – which should, if all goes to plan, be happening this time next year – but promised “an autumn term in 2009 of delights”.

Rivett gave assurances that it is definitely the right moment for development and feels that “it’s a really exciting time right now as contractors get on with the job at last”. The hall is due a refit, having been initially built in 1981 at a cost of less than £1 million. In its 27 year-long life it has housed a great deal of graduations for students and Honorary graduates alike as well as hosting President Bill Clinton for his last major foreign policy address. This, in itself is an impressive fact and, in the words of Alan Rivett: “The old hall certainly stood the test of time!”

The new development are expected improve the University’s reputation in the Midlands and further-a-field – its new robust feel will put Warwick’s artistic facilities in line with its reputation as a world-class institution of learning. Indeed, Rivett and the rest of the staff involved with the Arts Centre are hugely positive about the future, with Rivett going so far as to describe the new hall as a “spanking brand new creative space – a place where artistic dreams I hope will come to fruition”.