Image: The Boar

Couple celebrate 20 years in charge of Varsity

Rachel and Sean Finnegan have commemorated 20 years as pub managers at the University of Warwick’s Varsity pub, after starting back in 2002.

Sean Finnegan commented: “Myself and Rachel are very proud to have reached 20 years at The Varsity. The pub feels like a home to us, we are as much a part of The Varsity as The Varsity is a part of us.

“It has been a joy to support individuals in their career progression and see them succeed. We love being able to share our passion for cask ale and great food with our customers, who are always giving our team compliments.”

Rachel Finnegan added: “This is a wonderful milestone that Sean and I have achieved. I am very proud of how far we and The Varsity have come.

‘The last 20 years have flown by, but they have been amazing. We have made so many memories in the pub that it is hard to pick a favourite. 

“We have been lucky to meet so many lovely people over the years, it is so nice to see the same faces coming back again and again.”

–Rachel Finnigan

Varsity is owned currently by Stonegate Pub Company, the UK’s largest pub firm. Before 2013, the pub was owned by a student pub chain also called Varsity, which was composed of over 20 establishments nationally. 

Helen Charlesworth, Managing Director of Stonegate Group said: “Congratulations to Rachel and Sean on this amazing milestone. It is great to see how the business has grown and developed over the last 20 years. 

“We would like to thank Rachel and Sean for all their continued hard work, it is great to work with them both, and we want to wish them all the best for the future.”