BREAKING: 92% of Warwick research found to be world class

The Research Excellence Framework (REF) found that 92% of the University of Warwick’s academic research was “world leading or internationally excellent”.

Half of all Warwick research was given the maximum rating of four stars, meaning ‘world leading’. That number is up from 37% in 2014.

Another 42% of work was deemed “internationally excellent”.

Warwick’s Economics department was found to be the second-best in terms of research in the country. Classics was third nationally, Computer Science fourth, and Business and Management fifth.

Five more Warwick subjects ranked in the top 10 national departments for their discipline, with Maths ranking sixth in the country, Law and Philosophy both eighth, Politics and International Studies ninth, and Sociology 10th.

Following the results, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Warwick, Stuart Croft, said in a press release: “These results demonstrate the truly world class quality of our research, our approach and most importantly our people.

“This is an outstanding achievement and a source of tremendous pride for everyone connected with this great institution.”

–Vice Chancellor of the University of Warwick, Stuart Croft

“This is an outstanding achievement and a source of tremendous pride for everyone connected with this great institution.

“Our research has always been driven by a strong sense of purpose and commitment to ensuring what we do has a positive impact on wider society.

“From helping to save lives through our modelling work during the Covid pandemic, and the development of new, sustainable forms of transport and energy, to making a fairer criminal justice system, and supporting our cultural institutions and creative industries, our research delivers real-world benefit.

“Overall, the REF results also reflect the remarkable strength, quality and breadth of research within the UK. The future for our researchers is bright and exciting. We will continue to push boundaries, innovate and learn through our research work so we can benefit more people, in more places, more often.”

Warwick’s improvement in the REF assessment follows being named University of the Year for Teaching Quality by the Sunday Times’ Good University Guide 2022.

The REF was last carried out in 2014. Senior academics and users of research review work in 34 disciplines from over 150 UK institutions. They evaluate the strength of research, its reach, and environment in which it was created.