Mikey / Flickr

Escape room set to open in Leamington Spa

A plan submitted for the creation of an escape room centre in Leamington Spa has been approved.

Experimental Escape will be the first escape room space in Leamington Spa. Currently, the closest escape rooms to the University can be found in Coventry and Birmingham.

Escape games are thematic team games, whereby the players have to solve various puzzles cooperatively in order to escape from a ‘locked’ room within a specific time frame. Except for thematic escape rooms, there is also planning for booths with Virtual Reality Games, rendering Experimental Escape one of the few centres in the UK combining escape room games and virtual reality technology.

The rooms will open on the second floor of 69 Warwick Street in Leamington Spa, which was previously used as an office, and will be operating from 9AM to 11.30PM daily, including holidays. The company Experimental Escape Ltd submitted an application to change the use of the space in late May and was given permission in July.

An opening date has not yet been announced, but the company is running a contest on their Facebook page, whereby they will randomly select 10 people of the first 100 to like the page and offer them and their friends an escape experience before the opening of the space.

‘We hope to become the number one fun thing to do in Leamington as rated on TripAdvisor, helping increase the amount of choice for tourism and fun day out activities in the centre of Leamington’ said Experimental Escape Ltd on their planning documents.