Photo: Facebook/ Warwick Youth Phab

PHAB-ulous: The Boar attends one of PHAB’s club nights!

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]s the Boar team made their way around PHAB, it was hard not to immediately relax in an atmosphere of incredible warmth and acceptance. “This is the cheapest and most available resource for children in the area” says Marian Highan. Marian has a daughter who is 11 and a son, Nathaniel, who is 15. Nathaniel is classified as a special needs child, and both attend the PHAB Youth Club in Leamington Spa, which has been operating fortnightly for almost a year.

The evenings are provided by PHAB (Physically Handicapped and Able Bodied) in which children up to the age of eighteen can socialise together. Unlike other charities solely aimed towards disabled children, PHAB promotes inclusivity across all children in the community. It allows kids with learning and physical disabilities to bring along their able bodied friends and siblings to play together. The notion of being ‘different’ or ‘segregated’ seems to disappear; in fact, it isn’t remotely thought of.

PHAB clubs are nation-wide and operate in numerous towns across the country, including Croydon, Epsom and Hounslow. The project is led by postgraduate student Anna York and consists of students from Warwick Volunteers. Each evening they engage with the children in ways which they and parents alike consider to be second-to-none. At eighteen years old, Ryan Bowley has been going to the PHAB evenings for about a year. He says, “It’s good fun here. I like the games, the sports and the activities. I get to meet new friends”.

The club operates in Leamington Westbury Centre, which it has to rent out. Not only does PHAB only operate with help from volunteers, it relies entirely on fundraising.

Money is currently raised in a number of ways, sometimes through independent grants as well as charity fundraisers, such as Vice-President Rushab Shah’s staggering feat of travelling from North to South India in a rickshaw, which raised £500.

It is hard to imagine how the club pulls off such a task, with sports activities and themed nights of fun every two weeks. As the kids run around, they barely pay any attention to us asking questions. The theme tonight is pirates and princesses, and the children grin as they paint cardboard swords with thick red paint.

What keeps PHAB afloat is the generosity of some of the university’s sports societies, who can elect a charity – such as PHAB – to sponsor each year. It is not purely through sponsorship but through genial philanthropy that our societies can bring to the table. One week, for instance, Warwick Salsa performed and taught dance with the youngsters.

“The kids were a bit shy at first but by the end there was smiling and laughing everywhere”, Roberto Curati, Charity and Teaching Coordinator for Warwick Salsa tells us. He continues, “I’d recommend any societies who feel like they can offer something to PHAB to do it because it’s a lot of fun and the young people there seem to get so much out of it”.

Media and Publicity Officer Sophie Brinsmead tells us, “We currently run it fortnightly because we don’t have enough volunteers to support weekly sessions”. Their aim, she hopes, is for it to become weekly. Combined with the help of the Warwick Volunteers, the university and its students are crucial to the project’s survival.

With so many Warwick students participating in charity work, PHAB youth club should have even more volunteers than it already does. Aside from the fact it is based in Leamington Spa, which, for most students, is their own place of residence and is thus incredibly easy to get to, the impact made is direct and immediate. But as Volunteer Julia Ostendorf reminded us, “It’s not a job, and it’s not for the university; it’s different”. PHAB is solely directed towards helping the children, where children of all abilities, as well as parents and the volunteers themselves can all have fun.

As beneficial as it is to the students, the impact of this organisation is felt within the wider Leamington Spa community. One mother told The Boar how this is the only place where her son, who has Asperger’s syndrome, could come along with his brother. As she described how accepting and enthusiastic all the student volunteers were, the children assembled around, as Anna started putting together a treasure hunt with chocolate prizes.

‘It helps children to socialise’ continues Marian Highan. With only two special needs play facilities in Kenilworth, and none other listed in Leamington Spa, PHAB’s existence provides an integral element to the fabric of the local community.

How can students get involved in PHAB? Julia found out through word of mouth, but hopefully Warwick PHAB’s progressive success and level of awareness can be accelerated through further publicity of what is a truly remarkable charity. Having witnessed their work first-hand, it is undeniable that it really is exciting and rewarding for all involved. With so many people applying for schemes such as Warwick in Africa, it seems ridiculous that PHAB shouldn’t have more volunteers. After all, the effect is direct, immediate and close to home.

As The Boar leaves the youth club, their absence is barely felt as the children and volunteers are engrossed in their activities. Stepping outside into the cold, we couldn’t help but wish we were back inside painting our nails, finding treasure or playing sports with the happy children.