Image: Warwick Media Library / Nathan Barrow

Library summer refit boosts accessibility and slashes energy use

The University of Warwick Library has carried out a wide range of renovations over the summer break – with more to come.

Part of the revamp involves improving provisions for students with accessibility needs. A new Assistive Technology area will open this term on the Library’s floor 2 extension.

Like the existing Assistive Technology area on floor 1, it will contain separated booths, height-adjustable desks, and assistive software — with novel assistive software set to be introduced.

The new installation will complement the Library’s accessibility and sensory study rooms

It will also be situated in a ‘quiet zone’ – areas where noise is meant to be kept to a minimum and where mobile devices are only allowed for silent texting.

The new installation will complement the Library’s accessibility and sensory study rooms. These can be booked by students registered with Warwick’s Disability Services and contain height-adjustable desks, adjustable chairs, and several other accommodations for students with disabilities and long-term health conditions.

Alongside these refurbishments, existing lighting is being replaced by new LEDs across the Library, with the University estimating this will reduce energy consumption by roughly 70%.

The new lighting system will contain wireless smart controls, plus real-time occupancy and energy data reporting to optimise consumption.

A report from the University estimated that these changes will deliver 545,584 kWh worth of energy savings annually, an amount equivalent to circumnavigating the Earth 56 times in a standard electric car.

Work has also been carried out to redo the Library Café’s outdoor seating

Besides renovations to the Library interior, work has also been carried out to redo the Library Café’s outdoor seating, after a consultation with students.

At the time of writing, the University believes that refurbishment works for the third, fourth, and fifth floors, including extensions and staircases, will be completed before Welcome Week.

However, work on the ground floor and second floor will only be completed by 1 November and may inconvenience students in the interim.

If you have a disability or long-term health condition, the University’s Disability Services can provide you with tailored support.

This can include reasonable adjustments for exams and coursework, financial assistance, adjustments for on-campus accommodation, and access to the accessibility and sensory study rooms. You can contact Disability Services through an online Wellbeing Portal, which can be found on the University’s website.