Anxiety/ Image: Andrea Piacquadio/ Pexels
Image: Andrea Piacquadio/ Pexels

Career anxiety at university

University grants greater autonomy and independence, as well as functioning as the stage prior to working life. It can be accompanied by daunting thoughts about employment and potential careers. It feels unrealistic to have a set plan for the years following university, yet there is pressure to have a sense of direction in terms of work, which can become overwhelming alongside important assignments. If you can relate to the feeling of career anxiety, hopefully this piece can help ease your mind.

Career anxiety should not be allowed to dampen our university experience

Firstly, it is completely normal, and acceptable, to enter university without a clue of what field you want to dedicate yourself to. Undeniably, university does enable you to attain a degree that assists with your professional opportunities. But it should also be acknowledged as an incredible opportunity to study a subject you are passionate about, irrespective of the associated employment opportunities. Moreover, it is such a perfect time to explore other interests and passions with societies, clubs, and generally through meeting new people. Career anxiety should not be allowed to dampen our university experience.

Furthermore, Warwick University has a wide range of accessible resources which can provide guidance and support in relation to career anxiety. There are numerous events – such as ‘career days’ or ‘career fairs’ which can be used to obtain graduate and placement opportunities or to gather understanding of future career choices. There are also opportunities to meet with the ‘career’s team’ in private meetings. This allows for in-depth discussions to help with career planning and choices, as well as providing help and feedback with applications and CVs which can be an intimidating task. Personally, when I was facing some anxiety over the opportunities that I would have following university, I arranged for a one-to-one appointment which enabled me to become more confident in my studies and eased my worries for the future.

We should not be pressured to find our calling in life in our early 20s

Additionally, find reassurance in the fact we are able to work many different jobs, even across various fields, in our life. Increasingly, people are finding themselves completely changing fields in their professional life with 29% completely changing fields. This demonstrates that, following university, there exists a wide range of professions in diverse fields which are all potential options. Furthermore, we should not be pressured to find our calling in life in our early 20s. We can and should take advantage of a wide range of employment opportunities to not only diversify your skills and experiences, but also to inhibit stagnation. It is found that people will have about 12 jobs across their working lives. Thus, our immediate job opportunity following university does not have to represent the end-all of your professional life.

In terms of further practical advice, ensuring you are taking up opportunities and developing skills can provide you with a stronger foundation when entering the application process. Whether this be through part-time work, positions within societies, or the ‘Warwick Award’, these experiences can demonstrate employability skills. This then, heightens your career opportunities and should be able to inhibit career anxiety.

Ultimately, you should refuse to allow the pressure and stress associated with career anxiety to become all-encompassing or overwhelming. It is completely valid to have concerns and worries. However, you should prioritise truly experiencing all the great opportunities available to you during university, as well as studying to attain your degree.