Image: Amelia Farmer / The Boar

Indestructible: Becky Hill’s sold-out show at Birmingham’s Utilita Arena

Utilita Arena, Birmingham, 19 October 2024

Upon entering, the arena is a spectacle of colours, pink feathered cowboy hats, and flashing flower crowns illuminating the venue. As the crowd begins to grow restless, supporting act DJ Charlie Boon bounds onto the stage with enough energy to enliven even the reluctant fathers who had seemingly been dragged to the concert by their wives and daughters. Yet, the power of nostalgic club classics is not to be underestimated, the instantly recognisable synth beats of ‘Freed From Desire’ resurrecting the crowd, transforming the arena into an electric nightclub for the entirety of his 45-minute set.

The second support act Catching Cairo shortly follows, and an incredible set of dance music laced with inspiration from multiple genres including DnB, garage, and reggae ensues.

As the lights dim, Becky Hill finally emerges, wearing an intricately laced burgundy corset and satin mini skirt, a drastically different style to her previously bright and conventionally ‘pop’ clothing, mirroring her simultaneous shift in outlook and approach to her lyricism. The gospel-like layered vocals of ‘True Colours’, the song from which the title of her tour Believe Me Now? has been extracted, immerse the audience. The track’s powerful message speaks volumes, bringing to light the disregard for victims of sexual assault.

Arguably Hill’s newfound sense of self-confidence has had a ripple effect on her album and her performance

During a recent interview with NME, Hill states, “I didn’t want people asking, ‘Who the fuck is Becky Hill?’, but I’ve become this person that knows exactly who she is. I don’t need to downplay myself or my abilities because I finally believe in myself. You can hear that on this record.”. Arguably Hill’s newfound sense of self-confidence has had a ripple effect on her album and her performance, the crowd’s thunderous applause evidencing their support of this new musical direction.

Awestruck by her 14,400 loyal fans, Hill takes a moment of reflection, claiming this is as close as she will ever come to playing a ‘hometown show’ before launching headfirst into a medley of her most loved hits including ‘Overdrive’, ‘Last Time’, and ‘Crazy What Love Can Do’.

The music then cuts out, and mutterings of confusion sweep through the audience as Becky Hill remains hidden from view before miraculously appearing on a rotating circular stage in the centre of the arena, accompanied by a pianist. The stage soars above the crowd as she passionately belts ‘Man of My Dreams’, an intimate love ballad dedicated to her fiancé Charlie Gardener. To round off the acoustic set, Hill performs ‘I Could Get Used To This’, bravely displaying her vulnerable side and perfectly encapsulating the whirlwind of emotions experienced in her relationships.

After another short interlude, Hill welcomes special guest RILEASEA, a contestant on Season 6 of RuPaul’s Drag Race UK, onto the stage to perform their collaborative song ‘One Track Mind’.

Hill’s diverse range of music ensures that her concerts are enjoyable for all

However, in the wake of One Direction star Liam Payne’s untimely death, Hill expressed her conflicting feelings about whether to remove her unreleased track ‘Lost The Plot’ from the setlist. Despite the song being written before Payne’s passing, she claimed that she was ‘apprehensive’ about performing it for it grappled with issues within the music industry such as drugs, alcohol, and artists’ dependency on popularity to define their own self-worth. She claimed that the singer’s death was ‘tragic’, yet proceeded to perform the song due to the audience’s audible protest. The track provides a unique insight into the harsh realities of the music industry and how no artist is exempt from the pressures of fame and stardom.

Although only 30 years old, Hill expressed her gratitude for the audience’s dedication to attending her concerts despite the cost-of-living crisis, claiming ‘I am so grateful that you all spent your hard-earned money buying tickets for the tour’. Hill’s efforts to remain grounded amongst her audience are admirable, especially considering the recent controversy regarding Geordie artist Sam Fender’s ticket prices skyrocketing since his rise to fame.

Yet, it cannot be argued that tickets to the Believe Me Now? tour are worth the expense, especially given their high demand. Hill’s diverse range of music ensures that her concerts are enjoyable for all, creating an ecstatic atmosphere that remains even after the final note has been sung; the lively encore of ‘Wish You Well’ and ‘Remember’ inciting nothing but feelings of bliss and euphoria.

Whilst Hill’s Believe Me Now? tour is nowhere near over, it can be said with certainty that she has left her mark on Birmingham, magically transforming the previously reluctant fathers into newly converted EDM enthusiasts. The addictive melodies of Hill’s hits could be heard echoing throughout Birmingham City as weary, but content concertgoers make their way home. There is no better way to spend a Saturday night than dancing the night away to the iconic tunes of Becky Hill.

★★★★