Image: Neon Tommy via Flickr

Musicians aren’t politicians, but they still have a voice

Musicians are not politicians. In the same way your favourite Love Island star bears no political responsibility to discuss important current events, neither does your favourite musician. Having said that, an artist recognising the power that they hold with the voice that they’ve been given will never be a bad thing. Musicians are not politicians. So, while certain officials may have to remain politically neutral, artists are part of the everyman who has a right to freedom of speech and standing up for the causes they believe in. Wielding a platform you’ve been bestowed, whether that’s hundreds of thousands of fans and millions of streams or a 150-person show at the Sunflower Lounge and 10,000 monthly listeners, and using your voice to fight for a cause you believe in, is not a duty you have to fulfil but is never something you should be condemned for.

Noel Gallagher seems to disagree, stating in a recent interview that artists should just play their music and then get off the stage. To his credit, I completely see the argument that an artist preaching on stage can come off as ‘virtue signalling’, however, while it may not seem like “all the kids in a field at Glastonbury” can fix a major issue, it certainly isn’t true that “everybody knows what’s going on in the [… ]world.” So, given the chance to address over 200,000 people in the Glastonbury field who are giving you their undivided attention, raising an issue you believe in is not only very likely to inspire something in at least one person who hadn’t considered it before, but it is even more likely to hit home if they are an existing fan of yours who already holds respect for you. With the opportunity to change even a few people’s minds and further a cause you believe in, especially a significant world crisis, that’s something I certainly know I wouldn’t hesitate to grab.

Music itself holds power

Hozier was the perfect example of this at his recent Finsbury Park show, speaking out to a sea of 45,000 adoring fans on the inspiration behind his song ‘Nina Cried Power’ being a reminder to himself of the power of protest and grassroots action. Subsequently condemning the genocide in Palestine and echoing calls for the recognition of the Palestinian state may not lead to direct policy change, but it sends a huge message about what people believe in and demand from their governments, with his statements being met by deafening cheers; this is exactly the power that activism holds. If he inspired even a small fraction of those in attendance to write to their local MPs or donate, that would inevitably have an incredible butterfly effect. And making a political statement in no way detracts from your music. In Hozier’s case, this was a 5-minute speech encompassing everything from the power of the little things you do every day to show people you care, to the histories of Ireland, and the Suffragettes, and numerous other grassroots movements, nestled amongst hours of incredible music. The music was still the focus, and when you go to see an artist, you are going to see them and that includes what they think and stand for because this is also exactly what their music comprises.

Music itself holds power. From Aretha Franklin’s ‘Respect’ serving as an anthem for Civil Rights protestors in the streets to the role of Victor Jara and his music in the Nueva Cancion movement that inspired the overthrowing of non-democratic governments across South America, it is not just the stage that musicians perform on but the art itself that they create that can play a prominent political part. Music can be about anything, and every subject has its place in the industry, but that of course includes music that sends a message about the state of the world and the fights we still have to fight.

When given a mic which will reach hundreds to millions of people, it seems not only compelling but obvious that an artist would take that chance to further a cause they believe in

So, of course, not every song needs to have underlying messages about justice and equality, but that could never be to say no song should. When given a mic which will reach hundreds to millions of people, it seems not only compelling but obvious that an artist would take that chance to further a cause they believe in, even if it only changes one person’s mind. Who knows that person could be someone in power who can actually make a difference.