Image: The Boar / Gunisha Aggarwal

‘One More Night’: A night to remember with Only The Poets

O2 Academy, Birmingham, June 7 2024

It’s rare when a concert leaves you feeling deeply satisfied and comforted yet still craving more of the artist’s music. Only The Poets’ performance at the O2 Academy in Birmingham was one of these rare concerts that checked all the boxes.

The indie-pop band gained popularity as the supporting artist for Louis Tomlinson in 2021. They recently released an EP, One More Night, which has charted in 6 countries and reached the top 40 in the UK.

In the opening act, Kerr Mercer engaged the audience with his witty, self-deprecating humour and soulful sad songs. The audience is stunned into silence when the Scottish musician with his deep ethereal voice announces that he is only 18 years old. The interlude between the opening act and the band taking the stage got the audience bopping to popular pop numbers from One Direction to Taylor Swift.

With bright strobing lights and sirens blaring, Only The Poets takes to the stage with the crowd screaming as they break into their edgy and angsty song ‘Crash’. Their electrifying performance and cleverly curated set encourage the audience to experience a full range of emotions. Tommy Longhurst, the lead vocalist and guitarist’s orotund voice led to ‘I Don’t Want To Be Your Friend’ becoming a new favourite of mine.  Following this, the audience is treated to the unreleased songs ‘Mindset’ and ‘Bump in the Night’.

The O2 Academy in Birmingham is a special place for the band as it was one of their first live gig locations when they were just getting started, and they made sure to make the audience feel special as well

A recurring theme in the band’s music is their exploration of mental health. As Tommy introduces their song ‘It’s Okay (Not To Be Okay)’, he emphasises the importance of reaching out for support, saying, “Someone will always listen if you reach out.” This song is a prime example of their commitment to authenticity while creating awareness about vital issues. They tread the line between being vulnerable and relatable without sounding preachy.

The most spectacular moment of the concert is when Longhurst and Clem Cherry, the guitarist, part through the crowd to stand in the middle of the room to perform an unplugged version of the melancholic and melodic ballad ‘Black And Blue’. Longhurst channels his inner schoolteacher as he shushes the crowd to silence. Longhurst’s vocal prowess shines through with Cherry’s searing accompaniment in the cosy setting. A young fan is so enraptured by the experience that she breaks into tears. Cherry gives her his guitar picks in a sweet gesture that makes her day.

The O2 Academy in Birmingham is a special place for the band as it was one of their first live gig locations when they were just getting started, and they made sure to make the audience feel special as well. The band is notorious for their kindness with them ensuring to go out of the way to make their fans feel valued. An avid concertgoer who was attending an Only The Poets concert for the fourth time noted the band’s evolution, saying that they keep getting “bigger and better”.

Watch out, Only The Poets have only gotten started with their catchy tunes, compelling lyrics, and gracious attitude

During their performance of ‘JUMP!’, Andy ‘Roo’ Burge’s resounding bass playing and Marcus Yates’ explosive drums set the stage for the audience to jump along to a song about following your heart and not overthinking your passions. The band playfully teases the audience by leaving the stage after this high-octane performance.

Only The Poets reappear on stage, with the crowd chanting for more with their song ‘One More Night’. They express their support for the LGBTQIA+ community by wrapping a pride flag across the mike stand while singing, “Ceasefire, I call a ceasefire”.

The night ended with Only The Poets paying homage to their roots in Reading. During the last song, audience members got a quad workout when they were instructed to squat down and then jump up in tandem with the song ‘Emotional’.

Watch out, Only The Poets have only gotten started with their catchy tunes, compelling lyrics, and gracious attitude.

★★★★