Navigating cultural etiquette – Do’s and don’ts for travelling abroad

E xploring new places with unfamiliar cultures can be very exciting, helping us to broaden our perspectives and deepen our appreciation of global diversity. However, navigating unfamiliar customs and traditions can sometimes be daunting, causing anxiety for many travellers who worry about making mistakes. But worry not! In this article, I share five handy tips for making sure you can easily educate yourself on proper cultural etiquette when travelling abroad.

1. Learn basic phrases.

If there’s one thing that keeps travellers up at night, it’s language barriers! Many people worry about understanding and being understood by the native inhabitants when visiting a new place. To avoid awkward exchanges filled with exaggerated hand gestures, it’s worth researching basic phrases and vocabulary of the country’s primary language. There’s also nothing worse than a traveller who refuses to speak to a native in their mother tongue, which can often come across as entitled. Even a simple “Hello” and “Do you speak English?” demonstrates respect and increases the likelihood of locals being willing to communicate with you.

2. Understand the religion

Most countries contain a variety of religions and faiths that differ from region to region. Before travelling to a place, I would recommend checking what religions are followed and practised by the locals and gaining a basic grasp of the traditions and customs of those particular faiths. It is also a well-known fact within the travelling community that you should remove shoes when entering a Hindu temple and that many cathedrals require you to wear clothes that cover the shoulders and legs. All in all, it is worth being aware of the religious context of the place you are visiting so that you can respect the culture and avoid getting in trouble.

3. Know the rules

Every country has different laws that govern day-to-day life and these rules apply to everyone, even visitors. Make sure you know the basic legislation of the nation or state you are visiting, such as rules around alcohol and the age of consent. Don’t be too overly worried about breaking the law, it is very unlikely that will happen, but it is worth being aware of the basic laws of a country.

4. Be mindful when taking selfies

Obviously, snapping photos of cultural landmarks and mesmerising landscapes is part and parcel of the travelling experience! However, some places, especially religious monuments and buildings, are very sacred to a community and therefore you must treat them with dignity. Always be on the lookout for ‘No photos’ signs and even ask someone if you are unsure. You don’t have to be a part of the religion or follow the beliefs to show respect.

5. Google it!

This one might seem quite obvious, but a key step in learning about different cultural practices is to search them up on the internet. There are plenty of helpful websites out there that list the customs of each country around the world, so that you can easily search for things that you might not have known about a place beforehand. Don’t know what the standard greeting for a country is? Unsure about the primary language of a nation? Worried you will make a faux-pas when ordering and eating food? Google often has the answers!

All said and done, make sure you have fun! Just enjoy yourself and as long as you are respectful and show good manners when exploring a new place, you will have a good experience. Travelling doesn’t have to be scary. Keeping these tips in mind will allow you to journey around stress-free.