Image: IGDB / Backpack games

Clean the Sea! A game review

As the present world grapples with the urgency of climate change and recognises the need for systems to be set into place for the conservation of natural resources, the gaming industry does its part by increasing awareness through games like Clean the sea!. In my opinion, this game is suitable for all age groups since the gameplay is fairly simple and yet quite relaxing and soothing.

So far, the game is fairly straightforward – it has four locations, each of which provides a different geographical location with water bodies to clean. There are eight zones in each location and once each zone is declared clean, a new zone is expanded and the area to clean is increased. At the beginning, the picker size is small and it’s slow, however, as the game progresses you can increase the size and speed of the picker to clean the zones faster and more effectively. You can also get the help of smaller pickers using cash. After all the trash is cleared and the area is clean, the aquatic ecosystems and marine life forms come back into the water bodies. It’s heart-warming to watch little silver fish swimming about the picker, turtles moving in and out, and seals resting on icebergs. While this gets slightly repetitive over time, the simplicity of controls means this game effectively imparts the consequences of human actions on the environment and the importance of cleaning the habitats of aquatic wildlife.

Clean the Sea! does well by fostering a culture of environmental responsibility

Considering the genre of the game, its repetitive nature isn’t really a flaw but personally, I feel a little depth could be added to the game by adding realistic challenges like varying ocean currents, weather conditions, degradation of marine ecosystems etc.. This could emphasise the complexities of ocean conservation.

The game visuals are vibrant and immersive with a good sense of detail. Each location has its own well-crafted background as well as an animated underwater environment teeming with wildlife. From beautiful icebergs in Antarctica to windmills in Amsterdam, each location is detailed with native wildlife like penguins, seals, turtles, and dolphins. The audio, however, of occasional animal sounds and a bell ringing when trash is sold is not extremely special but as I played the game, I put on my own music and it made my experience much better.

The standout feature of this game is of course its emphasis on creating awareness about pollution in water bodies and the need to take action. Clean the sea! does well by fostering a culture of environmental responsibility. At its core, the players take on the role of a marine conservationist and provide adequate tools and resources, including extra helpers and drones, to restore the aquatic habitats to their original harmony and balance. The gameplay is easy to understand and it works well with the agenda of the game because it allows the players to reach their goal without getting stuck with complex controls. As a complete beginner in the gaming world, I found it extremely easy to get a hang of the game and found the positive messaging and straightforward gameplay engaging and calming.

There is a constant reminder of the interconnectedness of human life with nature

Throughout the game, there is an emphasis on environmental stewardship and personal responsibility. There is a constant reminder of the interconnectedness of human life with nature and the impact industries and other human activities have on the environment. By showing different types of wastes in oceans, including single-use plastics, oil spills, mechanical parts and even household items, Clean the sea! does it’s best to remind its players of the importance of sustainability and correct disposal of waste. The game also gives out ‘rewards’ as it progresses, which reiterate the lessons taught in the game and give the player a sense of tangible accomplishment as they advance to higher levels.

Personally, I feel like the game is informative, intriguing, and relaxing. It can get slightly monotonous after a bit but overall, it’s a good attempt towards increasing environmental responsibility. It could lean more into that aspect as by encouraging players to engage in real-life efforts towards conservation and preservation of the environment. The game could also amplify the educational content by providing more examples of how human activities like overfishing, incorrect disposal of waste into seas and oceans impact marine wildlife. That being said, the game serves as a good example of how education and awareness can work in collaboration with entertainment. In a time when issues around climate change are more pressing than ever, Clean the sea! treads the line perfectly between creating a more responsible and resourceful generation without compromising on its captivating gameplay.