Image: Flickr/Marco Verch

Young people ‘more likely to be out of work due to mental health problems’, research finds

People in their early 20s are more likely to be out of work due to poor mental health than those in their early 40s, a report by the Resolution Foundation has shown.

The report, published February 26, found that a third of young people with mental health problems and without a degree find themselves out of work; this figure falls to just 17% among graduates with those same mental health issues.

It has prompted growing concern that mental health support for young people is only focused towards Higher Education establishments, when it is actually young people with poorer levels of education who are more likely to be negatively affected.

According to NHS statistics, one in five children and young people had a probable mental health disorder in 2023.

The significance of a child’s early years is emphasised by the charity Mind, who have concluded that “50% of mental health problems are established by the age of 14”. This figure rises to 75% by the age of 24.

Claire Murdoch, NHS Mental Health Director, highlighted: “Today’s report shows the continued unprecedented pressures faced by young people and reflects the increased demand for NHS children’s mental health services.”

To address this mental health crisis, we need better support services in currently underserved colleges, and much better provision for those resitting exams so that everyone has qualifications to build on.

Louise Murphy, senior economist, Resolution Foundation

Problems with mental health have also been linked to poverty, and a subsequent lack of opportunities.

The report found that 26.8% of children between the ages of 8 and 16 with a probable mental health issue came from households which could not afford for their child to take part in extracurricular activities. Only 1 in 10 children who were deemed unlikely to have such a condition had these same economic restrictions.

Among younger children (aged 8-16 years old), mental health issue rates were similar among boys and girls. Yet rates were twice as high in women aged 17-24 than in their male counterparts.

Rates of documented probable mental disorders have risen in all age groups since 2017, according to NHS England.

Louise Murphy, senior economist at the Resolution Foundation, told the Guardian that: “To address this mental health crisis, we need better support services in currently underserved colleges, and much better provision for those resitting exams so that everyone has qualifications to build on.”

In response to the demand, NHS England has rolled out 398 Mental Health Support Teams in education establishments across the country. The organisation has noted, however, that this support is available to only 35% of those in further education.

A further 200 teams are expected to launch by Spring 2025, which will support 5 million of the country’s students.