Image: Flickr / Rob Hodgkins

Woman in her ’30s found dead in Grand Union Canal

Police were called to Old Warwick Road on 28 February after a woman in her ’30s was found dead in Leamington Spa’s Grand Union Canal.

Having been informed about a “concern for welfare incident”, Warwickshire Police later announced that an individual was found and confirmed dead at the scene.

“Officers attended along with other members of the emergency services, and sadly, the body of a woman in her ’30s was recovered”

Spokesperson for Warwickshire Police

A spokesman for Warwickshire Police said: “We were called to Old Warwick Road in Leamington Spa at 8.40am this morning after a report someone was believed to be in the Grand Union Canal.

“Officers attended along with other members of the emergency services, and sadly, the body of a woman in her ’30s was recovered. Her next of kin has been informed.”

The incident, which is not being treated as suspicious, is now being prepared for the coroner.

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service added: “We were called to reports of a patient in the Grand Union Canal near Old Warwick Road at 8:38am.

“Two ambulances, a paramedic officer, and the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance Critical Care Car attended.

“Crews discovered one patient, a woman. Sadly, it quickly became apparent nothing could be done to save her, and she was confirmed dead at the scene.”

The Boar News has contacted Warwickshire Police for further comment. However, they are yet to respond.