Source: [Unsplash]

Why you should go on a year abroad

A year abroad was always on the cards for me. From studying French at GCSE to A level and now at Warwick, I always knew I wanted the experience of living, studying, and immersing myself abroad. However, when the time came to finally cross the English Channel and make the big move, it wasn’t as easy as I had thought. Making the decision to move abroad can be scary and not an easy choice.

Like most things, I went into my year abroad with no idea of what to expect. With zero expectations and nothing but a suitcase and worries that had been growing in the build-up, I made my way to Montpellier in the South of France in the beginning of September. By this point I had spent months feeling nervous about such a big change that I was going into completely alone. Starting something new on my own and somewhere far from home was the hardest change for me. I soon found my way, settled in, and started enjoying my espressos at my favourite café and three euro sangrias under the sun! I was finally doing something I had always imagined, and any worries I previously had slowly disappeared.

I’ve also been so lucky to meet the people that I have, and I didn’t expect to make such strong friendships in such a short period of time

I couldn’t recommend going on a year abroad more. I’ve learnt so much since being here, and (not to be a cliché and totally insufferable year abroad student) changed too. This was the first time I moved somewhere without a network of close friends, so it was tough, but I’ve gained so much independence and confidence. I’ve also been so lucky to meet the people that I have, and I didn’t expect to make such strong friendships in such a short period of time. Now I have friends from all different countries!

Being on a year abroad gives you the chance to travel and see such amazing places. I’ve visited quite a few cities in the South of France, some of which I probably would never have considered before. From finding myself in a canoe excursion along the Gorges de l’Herault, running on two hours of sleep, to watching sunrise along the Cote d’Azur after a night spent partying on the beach, I’ve loved it all. Overall, if you’re on the fence about making this decision, my biggest advice is to go for it.

In the South of France train tickets are as cheap as one euro for the first weekend of every month- something we can only dream of in the UK

Now, if you’ve decided that a year abroad is for you then here’s a few top tips that will help you settle in and make the most of your time. If you’re studying, try new classes you wouldn’t usually take. Last term I studied History of Art and Italian, which I loved (but don’t ask me to speak any!) My second tip would be to make the most of being abroad by travelling. Whether this is a weekend away or a day trip there’s so much to see and discover and this has definitely been the highlight for me. Look out for travel deals. In the South of France train tickets are as cheap as €1 for the first weekend of every month- something we can only dream of in the UK. Finally, look out for networks of international students such as ESN (Erasmus Student Network) and Erasmus groups. I’ve been on such great trips through these networks and met so many great people because of it!

It may not be easy at the start, but a year abroad is an experience you won’t regret. I’m three weeks into my second semester now and I often find myself in a lecture theatre full of French students whilst I’m learning about the History of Art or 18th century Literature thinking to myself how glad I am to be there.