Image: PxHere

Local charity Safeline awarded £415,000 grant

Safeline, a charity based in Warwick that supports victims of sexual violence, has won a £415,000 grant from the government.

The charity’s work has been recognised by the government which announced, on Monday 4 March, that they will be giving a £10 million package to charities across England that help to prevent suicide.

As a part of this package, Safeline will be granted £415,000. Provisional smaller grants have been given to other charities and organisations; Warwickshire Mind and the University of Warwick are two set to be given funding.

If you’ve been sexually abused, you’re three times more likely to commit suicide

Neil Henderson, Safeline’s Chief Executive

Safeline’s Chief Executive, Neil Henderson, said: “At long last, people recognise that sexual violence is one of the main issues that people, unfortunately, decide to take their lives.”

Henderson added: “If you’ve been sexually abused, you’re three times more likely to commit suicide.”

This fact emphasises the necessity of Safeline, which was launched in 1994. The charity aids the recovery of those affected by sexual violence and abuse. Its main services are providing prevention and early intervention services to help prevent child sexual abuse, giving counselling to survivors, providing emotional support, and implementing education and training to prevent and address sexual violence across England and Wales.

It often takes at least six months for child sexual abuse victims to get help

Recent report by the Centre of expertise on child sexual abuse

Locally, the charity offers a helpline for those in Coventry and Warwickshire and a national helpline for male survivors.

Charities like Safeline are vital. This has been highlighted by a recent report by the Centre of expertise on child sexual abuse (CSA Centre) which found that it often takes at least six months for child sexual abuse victims to get help. Since 2015 the CSA Centre’s wait times have more than doubled.

Henderson said that the government grant given to Safeline would be spent on the charity’s early-intervention work with children. This money will also go towards their counselling service and male survivors’ helpline.

Henderson emphasised the significance of the grant and the charity’s work stating: “We’re so proud of what we have achieved for people in Warwickshire.”