Image: NordwoodThemes/Unsplash
Image: NordwoodThemes/Unsplash

Smosh Mouth: a podcast for anyone

Smosh Mouth is the official podcast for the widely popular YouTube channel ‘Smosh’. Being one of the largest sketch comedy brands on the internet, Smosh comprises the YouTube channels Smosh, Smosh Games, Smosh Pit and now, Smosh Mouth, their podcast channel. Combined, these channels are some of the most popular on YouTube with over 46 million subscribers and 16 billion views.    

Originally named Smoshcast, the podcast had over 80 episodes, with its first episode being posted in February 2019 and last episode being posted in May 2021. After a very long period of silence, the channel re-emerged as Smosh Mouth in June 2023, and this is what I shall be praising today.

I have never listened to a more random and bizarre podcast in my life.

The drive from my student house to campus is roughly 30 minutes … there and back! Though it is a pain, what a perfect time to listen to a podcast, am I right? Now, I am not that much of a podcast listener if I’m honest, but after finding out that one of my favourite YouTube channels were producing a brand new one, I had to try it out.  

Released every Monday, each episode is hosted by two of the Smosh cast members, Shayne Topp and Amanda Lehan-Canto, a pair usually referred to as the ‘short one’ and the ‘tall one’. Every episode, they bring on another one of the cast members from Smosh and literally just discuss what’s on their mind. I have never listened to a more random and bizarre podcast in my life. It is impossible to sum up what they talk about but let me give you a few examples. 

‘Reading reddit stories’ is one of my favourite episodes as they read and discuss some of the most outrageous stories on the internet. The episode where they discussed the worst jobs they’ve ever had was also a very entertaining one, as they mostly complain and share relatable stories about working in customer service.

Though the podcast is commonly known for its comedy, it does also frequently address some very serious and thought-provoking topics

Along with this, Shayne and Amanda have brought on many guests from the famous Smosh channel including the nostalgic duo Ian Hecox and Anthony Miller, along with the regular cast members of Smosh such as Courtney Miller, Damien Haas, Noah Grossman, and many more. They’ve discussed things such as Dungeons and Dragons, the dumbest conspiracy theories, tarot card reading, writing comedy sketches, reading teenage journals, the greatest unsolved mysteries, and so much more. There’s just such a variety of topics to choose from and I am absolutely certain that anyone could find something they’re interested in on this podcast. 

Though the podcast is commonly known for its comedy, it does also frequently address some very serious and thought-provoking topics in some of its episodes too. One that I particularly remember was the episode where they talk about their craziest hospital stories and bring on Keith Leak Jr, one of the Smosh cast members, to talk about his battle with cancer. Though they do crack a few jokes here and there, I love that their podcast addresses so many overlooked and unspoken topics that are so important to hear about. Others include the pressures of social media, the struggles of dating, and much more.

So, while I’ve never really been that much of a podcast-listener before, Smosh Mouth has completely converted me. Every chance I get, I’m listening to it, and I highly encourage that you give it a go too – it ended up being a great decision for me.

• This sounds like such a good podcast with so much variety! Will definitely be giving some of these episodes a listen! 🙂