Image: Wikimedia Commons/ Chatham House

Keir Starmer visits the University of Warwick

On 19 January, Labour Party Leader, Keir Starmer, visited the University of Warwick’s WMG to meet students and researchers. 

WMG is a globally recognised Warwick department engaged in research, development, and education across the fields of science, technology, and engineering. 

WMG professionals work in tandem with industrial partners to augment growth in sectors such as sustainable transport, agricultural technology, and advanced manufacturing. 

Starmer visited WMG’s International Manufacturing Centre (IMC) alongside fellow Labour Party mayors and mayoral candidates. These included West Midlands mayoral candidate, Richard Parker; East Midlands mayoral candidate, Claire Ward; and Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham. 

During his visit, he had the chance to see initiatives such as Warwick Racing and Warwick Moto, as well as the ‘Driving the Electric Revolution’ programme which aims to advance electrification through technological innovation. 

“I was delighted to visit WMG at the University of Warwick today to hear about their pioneering work to drive growth through its support for business and industry”

Keir Starmer, Labour Party Leader

After his visit, Starmer commented: “I was delighted to visit WMG at the University of Warwick today to hear about their pioneering work to drive growth through its support for business and industry. We need the UK’s universities to be central to our future economic growth, through their contributions to innovation, sustainability, and the talents of our people.” 

He added: “Meeting some of the University’s impressive researchers, technicians and students, who are working on the technology of the future, their driving purpose is what an incoming Labour government will bring, if we are privileged enough to serve. We’ll work hand in hand with Universities, sixth forms and further education colleges to deliver on each of our five missions to give Britain its future back.”

We were pleased to host the Labour leader and the mayors and mayoral candidates to show them some of the cutting-edge research and product development which takes place here on our campus

Professor Stuart Croft, University of Warwick’s Vice-Chancellor

Accompanying Starmer during his visit were the University of Warwick’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Stuart Croft, and Dean of WMG, Professor Robin Clark. 

Professor Croft stated: “We were pleased to host the Labour leader and the mayors and mayoral candidates to show them some of the cutting-edge research and product development which takes place here on our campus.

“The University of Warwick is unique with respect to the way it has worked hand-in-glove with industry and businesses for decades, developing innovative products and services with them and finding real-world solutions to complex problems. Collaboration, openness, and creativity is at the heart of our approach, which has led to a host of breakthrough technologies and innovations.”