Rugby Players jumping for ball
Flickr/ John Walton

Full Contact: Hope for a new beginning

A thug’s sport played by gentlemen. A game of physicality, intelligence, raw skill, tactics, ingenuity, teamwork, stamina, and above all else, passion. A form of warfare loved by millions of fans around the world but now under threat due to lacking engagement. It is exciting news for all that Netflix have now found rugby worthy enough of an in-depth documentary and will show the sport to the world on an international platform – many will argue, about time.

The current negative discourse surrounding rugby and its players, such as the abuse Owen Farrell faced after the World Cup which arguably led to his international hiatus, is not reflective of the sport many love. Rugby is turning into something it shouldn’t be – with fans’ behaviour drawing similarities to that of football supporters we have become what we hate. Moreover, amidst controversies regarding the Premiership’s financial health, the treatment of players by “fans”, online abuse, the quality of refereeing, complex laws, and the influx of South African teams into European club tournaments, fans are becoming more disconnected, and participation is on the decline.

It promises to shine a light on the vulnerable side of rugby, such as players’ mental health

However, there is so much more to rugby than its pitfalls, and by focusing on its positives and highlighting them through Netflix’s documentary there is an opportunity for growth. The game provides a community, a safe place away from destructive paths (especially for the youth), and an opportunity to be a part of something more than the individual. This series could be a boon in the fight to revive European rugby to its former glory.

The Six Nations, a tournament whose roots have span over a century, sees the six European teams of England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, and Italy face off over five rounds. It’s a chance for fans at home and around the world to support their national team, whether adopted or by right.

The trailer provides us with a glimpse of behind-the-scenes footage of a sport not talked about positively enough due to its depiction in the media. This documentary is an incredible opportunity to not only introduce the game to a new market, but also to reignite that spark in fans across generations. Furthermore, in addition to showing the tenacity of the teams, and fierceness of the sport, it promises to shine a light on the vulnerable side of rugby, such as players’ mental health – a previously taboo topic within the game.

Nonetheless, Louis Rees-Zammit, the former “golden balls” of Welsh Rugby and focus of the opening scene of the trailer, recently decided to venture off to supposed pastures greener across the Atlantic: the flashing lights of the NFL. Does this highlight that players no longer see playing for their country as the pinnacle of their career? In fairness, it’s worth saying that Rees-Zammit is not alone in moving abroad, where, as a rule, rugby players are made unavailable for national team selection.

Full Contact is first and foremost about hope

Having scrolled through the Instagram comments on Rugby Pass’ exposure post, it seems fans are treating Rees-Zammit’s dream-chasing as insignificant, and clearly view the game as better off without his lack of commitment. But does his presence in the show, and absence in the upcoming tournament, shed light on the fact that players themselves are indifferent to investment in the sport?

I believe Rees-Zammit is an anomaly, and at some point will most likely return to the better sport on the better side of the pond. It is just unfortunate timing regarding his role in the show; I’m sure the end of the documentary will be much more fulfilling.

Despite all this, Full Contact is first and foremost about hope – players and coaches hoping to win, the hope to develop the game, and hope of a bright future for the sport. I believe this documentary will highlight the lack of terrestrial coverage of rugby and hopefully encourage leaders to act if they truly desire to increase the sport’s exposure and bring in new fans.

With the Premiership falling apart at the seams with the losses of Wasps, London Irish, and Worcester Warriors, and the RFU given over to careless spending instead of managing, now more people than ever are needed to buy into the game. To send their kids to training sessions. To buy tickets to games. To support both club teams and nations. Rugby is nothing without the fans and the supporters who push the players to do what they do; to represent the countries they love; and to inspire generations.

I hope Full Contact is the trigger needed for the growth in avenues that push for widening participation and investment in the game, as, without this type of positive media coverage and exposure, rugby, especially in England, is in a very vulnerable position indeed.