Image: Wikimedia Commons / mintchocicecream

Bath University exam mishap: Students made to resit after being given answers in a paper

In a recent exam sat at the University of Bath, students were left feeling “confused” to find the mark scheme and answers printed in an economics paper. The university’s proposed resit date was protested by its students.

Upon opening the exam paper, the students in the exam room: “were all shocked and surprised … everyone began to look around the room,” commented Aman Vyas, a second-year student at the university. The exam proceeded without interjection, it was on the following day that students were informed a resit would take place.

“To ensure quality standards are met, students will need to repeat the assessment for this module with a different exam paper.”

University of Bath Spokesperson

The University of Bath remarked that “there was nothing they could do” and that “they were going to have to resit the exam at a later date.”

The initial resit date the university gave was Friday the 26th of January, 4 days after the initial exam date of Monday 22nd of January. Creating issues for international students who were endeavouring to travel home.

“The majority of us were upset with what the resit date was. We started submitting formal complaints.” Commented one student. The misprint, in a paper for Macroeconomics, affected a total of 400 students in the department. After 150 students signed a petition, complaining about the new exam date, the university agreed to give students the option to resit the exam a fortnight later.

Despite any “stress and anxiety” felt by students at the prospect of sitting another exam, the university defended its’ decision to go ahead with the resit, reasoning that: “To ensure quality standards are met, students will need to repeat the assessment for this module with a different exam paper.”

The University of Bath released an official statement, commenting that: “events like these were rare” and that they “are taking steps to make sure it does not happen again.”