The Moustrap/ Wikimedia Commons
The Moustrap/ Wikimedia Commons

A criminally good evening with the mousetrap

Having watched a variety of plays myself, including War Horse, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, and The Play That Goes Wrong, this one was definitely the best theatrical experience out of all of them. The enduring popularity of the play, along with its suspense, drama, and well-crafted storyline, truly made it an evening of thrilling entertainment.

The set design and staging created a very authentic backdrop for the unfolding drama

Being somewhat of a fan of Christie’s timeless classics, it was utterly enjoyable to see her ingenious ideas come to life on stage. From her complex characters to her unexpected twists and turns, I hate to sound cliché here, but I was honestly on the edge of my seat throughout the entire performance.

From the moment the curtain rose, I was completely drawn into Christie’s world of mystery and crime. The set design and staging created a very authentic backdrop for the unfolding drama, set in a cozy yet mysterious English manor. The furniture, the costumes, and the overall atmosphere had me captivated right from the get-go, even before any of the characters had spoken a word.

All these character contributed to the unfolding drama and mystery of the plot

The characters themselves were cleverly written and excellently performed. Being a very small cast of only eight actors, each one had their own quirks and secrets that had me suspecting all of them at once. Mollie and Giles Ralston, husband and wife, are the owners of Monkswell Manor, a guest house where the entire play is set. Their guests include Christopher Wren, an eccentric and nervous young man, Mrs Boyle, a bitter and demanding old lady, Major Metcalf, a retired military man, Miss Casewell, an aloof and reserved young lady, Mr Paravicini, an unexpected and peculiar guest, and finally, Detective Sergeant Trotter, a policeman, arrives to investigate a murder. With their mysterious backgrounds and motivations, all these characters contributed to the unfolding drama and mystery of the plot.

The big reveal was so unexpected, no one could have guessed it

I honestly felt that the entire audience was engaged throughout the whole performance, and there were even a few gasps from people sitting behind me. It was almost as though everyone around me was holding their breaths, waiting for the murderer to reveal themselves. During the interval, I heard everyone discussing the all-important question of ‘whodunnit’ and even my family and I made our predictions. I can tell you now that everyone in that theatre got it entirely wrong, and the big reveal was so unexpected, that no one could have guessed it. When all the clues started to piece themselves together and it all started to become clear, it was so satisfying to come to that resolution. As tradition goes, the play ended with all the actors taking their well-deserved bows and asking the audience to keep the secret of the mystery and not reveal the ending to others—after all, we were accomplices to murder!

Therefore, I will not be revealing any spoilers to you today, but if you are interested in the details, I would advise that you experience this play first-hand, as discovering the resolution whilst surrounded by a suspenseful audience was an experience I will not be forgetting any time soon. Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap has been performed at St Martin’s Theatre in London since 1974 and will continue to captivate audiences for years to come. Despite being written in the 1950s, the play remains to be one of the most engaging and timeless pieces of theatre in history. I could not recommend it more!

• What a show! This article has given ‘The Mousetrap’ the justice it deserves! Thanks for shining a light on one of the best theatre productions EVER!