Maren Mjelde, Beth England and Sophie Ingle celebrate against Arsenal Women
Wikimedia Commons/Katie Chan/Own work

A 5-1 victory over Liverpool keeps Chelsea at the top of the WSL table 

Chelsea’s 5-1 victory over Liverpool at Stamford Bridge kept them at the top of the Women’s Super League (WSL) table, giving them a six-point lead over second place.

The game saw Lauren James, an England forward, score her first WSL hat-trick for Chelsea.  The 22-year-old player gave the Blues an early head start with a goal in the 11th minute. She ran into the penalty area and drilled a low finish off her left foot past Rachael Laws, the experienced Liverpool keeper. This goal was assisted by Sophie Ingle, Wales captain, who, like James, had a momentous day. The match saw Ingle’s 184th WSL appearance. She overtook Kerys Harrop, former Birmingham City and Tottenham player, meaning she set a new record for the most WSL appearances.

This game was a big victory for Chelsea as they aim to win their fifth successive WSL title 

However, less than two minutes after this opening goal, Liverpool found an equaliser. Jess Carter, a staple in England’s backline during the recent Women’s World Cup, scored an own goal from Shanice van de Sanden’s low cross bringing the score to 1-1.

The second Chelsea goal was headed in by Aggie Beever-Jones from James’ cross. Aggie Beever-Jones has recently caught the attention of fans after she scored her first senior goal for Chelsea on 23 October.

Coming back from half-time Chelsea led 2-1. They quickly upped this lead with James’ second goal coming from an assist by Sam Kerr. Less than 10 minutes later James completed her hat-trick.

Chelsea’s fifth and final goal also involved Chelsea’s hat-trick scorer. James’ pass to Rytting Kaneryd led to a neat finish by Nusken.

The Blues are determined to come away from this season with silverware  

This game was a big victory for Chelsea as they aim to win their fifth successive WSL title. It was also the first game since Hayes formally announced her departure. The manager, who has been in charge of Chelsea since 2012, will leave the club at the end of the season to manage the United States’ women’s national team.

So far this season they have won six and drawn one of their matches in the league, extending their record to 19 successive WSL home victories (games played at either Stamford Bridge or Kingsmeadow).

It is clear from this performance that the Blues are determined to come away from this season with silverware.