Image: Vivek Venkatram / Warwick Vegetarian and Vegan Society

Plant-Based Universities Warwick launches ASV campaign

Students from the Plant-Based Universities Warwick campaign have launched their campaign in preparation for this term’s All Student Votes (ASVs).

Student campaigners draped a large yellow banner reading “Plant-Based University: End the Climate Crisis” over Library Bridge at 1:00pm on October 24. The campaigners called for SU outlets to transition to a 50% plant-based menu immediately with a commitment to make that 100% by 2027. A similar motion was put to a vote in Spring Term this year, but failed to win sufficient support.

They are part of the Plant-Based Universities campaign: an international initiative of students campaigning for 100% plant-based catering at universities worldwide.

The campaigners’ calls will be put to a vote as part of this term’s All Student Votes: a termly event where Warwick students have the opportunity to vote on a wide range of motions. Voting for this term’s ASVs will commence on November 13.

A plant-based catering transition is the single biggest change we can make across our universities in order to tackle the climate crisis

Vivek Venkatram, President of Warwick Vegan and Vegetarian Society

Will Steele, Plant-Based Universities Warwick campaigner commented: “Universities are the source of much of our knowledge on the devastating impact of animal agriculture on the planet, and have a responsibility to act.

“Students are tired of delay, broken promises and lack of action from both the government and our own universities.

“Our campaign is pushing for systemic change; a transition towards 100% plant-based, affordable catering would represent a clear statement that the Students’ Union and university take their responsibilities seriously.”

Vivek Venkatram, President of Warwick Vegan and Vegetarian Society (VegSoc) said: “The most comprehensive meta-analysis on farming to date highlighted that animal agriculture provides only 18% of global calories yet uses 83% of global farmland.

A plant-based catering transition is the single biggest change we can make across our universities in order to tackle the climate crisis.”

This [motion] is not being imposed onto students – the ASV is the best way for students to democratically decide on the policies of the SU

James Varney, Warwick SU Environment and Ethics Officer

Warwick Students’ Union’s (SU) Environment and Ethics Officer, James Varney, commented on the campaign: “This motion goes a long way to address two crucial issues – the climate crisis and the cost of living. This will allow for a significant proportion of carbon emissions to be reduced, whilst providing cheaper food and drink for students by equalising prices for vegan food and eliminating the plant-based milk surcharges.

“I’d also stress this is not being imposed onto students – the ASV is the best way for students to democratically decide on the policies of the SU.”

The SU will be required to carry out the motion if it receives a plurality of the vote.

Following the campaign launch, Vivek Venkatram issued an exclusive statement to The Boar:

“We expect our Plant-Based Warwick motion to succeed in the Week 7 All Student Vote. Our previous motion lost by a quarter of a percentage point – a mere 24 votes.

In the run up to the upcoming ASV, we already have hundreds of signatories for our plant-based universities open letter, addressed to the University of Warwick.

Nationally, an open letter calling on UK universities to undertake this transition has been signed by nearly a thousand academics and notables, including Chris Packham CBE, Caroline Lucas MP and George Monbiot — alongside world leading climate researchers.

In advance of the ASV, we are working constructively with university staff to lower costs for students and ensure accessibility – supported by empirical data and operational know-how from universities across the UK.

The following SU officers have endorsed our motion thus far:

• Vash Ravi (VP Postgraduate)
  • Holly Roffe (VP Education)
  • Sophie Clarke (VP Democracy and Development)
  • Emma Birch (VP Sports)
  • James Varney (Environment and Ethics Officer)
  • Dixon Junior Gao-Cheung (LGBTQUA+ Officer)

Further, the following societies have endorsed the motion thus far:

• Warwick Climate Reality
  • Warwick VegSoc
  • Warwick Amnesty
  • Warwick Allotment
  • Warwick STAR

In the past year, the national campaign has achieved landmark votes at seven UK universities calling on Students’ Unions to move towards plant-based catering to tackle the climate and ecological emergencies, listed as follows:

• University of Stirling
  • University of Cambridge
  • University of Birmingham
  • Queen Mary University of London
  • London Metropolitan University
  • University College London
  • University of Kent

This is indicative of the strong backing that we have not only from the student body, but also from our elected student representatives.”