Wardrobe/ Unsplash

Unleashing your fashion creativity at Warwick: a guide to rocking your college wardrobe

University life is the perfect sweet spot between leaving behind high school uniforms and entering the world of work, which is great for self-discovery and exploring your style and fashion. My time at university has been quite a journey. I have just returned to campus after completing a placement in the creative industry. The best thing about being in the creative industry is that you absolutely get to go wild and explore different styles daily. I’ve come to appreciate the power of self-expression through fashion, from what clothes to wear, what make-up, bag, accessories and even perfume to go with that. I wanted to take inspiration from my experience and provide tips on how you can unleash your creativity through clothing at university. So, let’s dive into the vibrant world of fashion and explore experimenting with a wide range of styles at university. 

1. Lazy Monday lectures:

We all know Mondays can be a drag, but your outfit doesn’t have to be. Comfort and style can go hand in hand by adding a little flair to your everyday campus attire. Instead of settling for a plain sweatshirt, why not layer it with a turtleneck and a long necklace? Guess what’s making a fashionable comeback? Sweater vests. Mix and match different colours – a white or decker vest paired with a comfortable long-sleeved shirt. Transforming your lecture outfits becomes a breeze with the addition of layered clothes – they are incredibly effortless to pull off. These simple additions can transform your Monday lecture outfit from drab to fab, making you feel confident and ready to conquer the day! 

2. Sporty and chill vibes:

Whether you’re heading out for a workout or simply want to try out a sporty look, why not make your sports outfit an extension of your style? Opt for flared bell bottoms that effortlessly match with a hoodie, a T-shirt or even a cropped top with a jacket. The possibilities are endless, and you will be rocking that active look while staying comfortable and cool. You may consider wearing a cap to complete the look, which is perfect for a bad hair day!

3. Embracing the occasional sunny days:

Even during the UK’s autumn and winter, occasionally sunny days call for a touch of floral elegance. A floral dress is perfect for adding a vibrant touch to your wardrobe.Experiment with different styles and combinations to find what suits you best. Try adding a belt for a unique twist, layering your dress over a white shirt, or pairing it with a leather coat to add a hint of rock-style edge.

4. Infusing excitement into business attire:

Coffee chats and networking events call for outfits that strike the perfect balance between professionalism and personal style – this style guide has got you covered. Consider donning a blazer with jeans for a business casual look that exudes confidence. If you’re attending a more professional setting, such as an interview, opt for a muted sweater and pleated trousers with a blazer on top. Different companies have their unique requirements, so adapt your outfit accordingly and make a lasting impression. From my experience, creative industries often allow for more flexibility, so don’t be afraid to explore those funky options. The great thing is that these businesschic outfit choices also work well for everyday lectures and seminars. These outfits won’t look too extravagant but would add a touch of professionalism. They also pair well with glasses. So go ahead and showcase these versatile options that effortlessly blend both style and substance. 

Reconsider your perception of the rock style being too edgy for your taste because it’s time to embrace it! Get ready to rock the 90s vibe with an oversized graphic tee featuring short sleeves, and add a layer underneath for extra style points. But here’s the real secret sauce to nailing this look accessories! Accessories have the power to elevate your outfit to new heights, ensuring you stand out whenever you go. 

These fashion inspirations and tips are here to ignite your creativity and encourage you to step outside your comfort zone. You don’t always have to stick to a particular style. Gone are the days of being labelled as the quintessential Good Student at Uni, wearing a hoodie and jeans daily. Let your clothing be your canvas for self-expression, and embrace your individuality. Your college wardrobe is waiting to be unleashed, and I’m sure you’ll kill it!