Image: Archie Clarke / The Boar

Christmas festivities begin on campus

A plethora of events took place yesterday (November 29) at the Piazza to celebrate this year’s Christmas season in style.

The annual Christmas market opened at 11am, where independently-run stands sold a range of handicrafts and gifts. These included stalls selling jewellery and candles, as well as those selling gin and artwork. The baked goods stands proved to be extremely popular, with one, Lizzie’s Cookies, selling all their products before the Christmas lights were even switched on.

While many people took pleasure in exploring the market, some complained of the high prices, emphasising how the rising cost of living is affecting university students.

It has put me in a festive mood and makes me really happy to be here at Warwick

University of Warwick first-year student

A first-year Warwick student told The Boar: “I think the market is festive and adds character to the Piazza, but I think the prices are too high for uni students.”

Like other Wednesdays, there was a range of food trucks and vendors. These stayed open much longer than usual, with people enjoying a range of different foods and snacks.

The Labyrinth light trail, a festive place to both have fun and reflect, opened at 4:15pm. A guided walking sheet was on hand, and free hot chocolate was offered in the Chaplaincy until 6pm.

At 4pm, a series of musical performances began. A large crowd watched as University Choir, Warwick Brass Society, and Music Theatre Warwick performed. The University’s new a Capella group, The Leamingtones, gave the final musical performance.

This was followed by the much-anticipated Christmas light switch-on. An hour before the lights were due to be turned on, the Warwick Presents team could be found in the Piazza so that people could enter a free raffle, the winner being given the opportunity to switch on the lights.

Yellow 443 was the first ticket drawn, but with no response from the crowd a new ticket was pulled out of the raffle. Yellow 401 came forward to receive their winning hamper and switch on the Christmas lights.

A countdown on the screen in the Piazza was echoed by the crowd, and eventually, the lucky winner pushed the red button. The lights on the Christmas tree turned on, as did the lights hung around the market area.

Another Warwick student told The Boar: “It has put me in a festive mood and makes me really happy to be here at Warwick.”