Image: AMG

Bob Vylan live review: unapologetic, unfiltered, and truly anarchistic

O2 Institute, Birmingham, November 2023

Imagine eagerly approaching the merch table before a gig, browsing the items on display, only to look over and see that the artist you came to watch is the person taking your order.

Those who attended Bob Vylan’s Birmingham show on his Viva La Vylan tour were lucky to have experienced this level of starstruck. That being said, Bobby brings a certain down-to-earth energy to a room that makes one thing instantly apparent – he is a man of the people, a friend to the community. This is an artist who wants to hear the voices of his fans and represent that community in a refreshingly human way.

These guys know how to bring a tasty fusion of grime and punk to the stage 

So what exactly is Bob Vylan all about? Anyone driving down the busy Digbeth high street on Friday evening would have asked themselves this question, upon seeing the beautifully eclectic crowd of Birmingham punks piling outside the O2 institute. Allow me to introduce you to this London duo consisting of one front man (Bobby Vylan) and one drummer (confusingly similarly named Bobbie Vylan). Don’t be fooled by the lack of live instrumentalists though, because these guys know how to bring a tasty fusion of grime and punk to the stage when given the chance.

Through their music, words and actions, The Vylan boys make sure that their fans are aware that they aren’t just punks – they are absolute unfiltered anarchists. Their 2022 album, (released from their self-made record label, Ghost Records) Bob Vylan Presents: The Price of Life features songs which speak explicitly about the struggles of a working-class person of colour living in the UK. Vylan’s lyricism broadcasts that there’s no room for beating around the bush when it comes to the struggles of those most oppressed in this country.

A Bob Vylan show is a celebration of the beauty that comes with being angry

Bobby starts the show in an unexpected way: by leading a guided meditation with a soundtrack of heavy distortion and strobe lighting. Despite this being a mad move – everyone joins in, toe-tapping and all. The show’s setlist is a perfectly curated collection of mosh-worthy tracks, from ‘I Heard You Want Your Country Back’ (“Uh-uh you can’t have that!”) to ‘Take That’, in which Bobby expresses his support for those who defaced the Churchill statue in 2020 in line with the Black Lives Matter movement. Fans are even treated to a special performance of an unreleased song from his upcoming album, which no doubt was a reference to Grime. Everyone in the room was in awe.

In the words of Bobby himself, “a Bob Vylan show is half me performing these songs, and half me speaking at you about important stuff in the world.”

Those who survived the Vylan pit in full force will forever cherish these moments in between songs, moments when Bobby addresses issues such as the need to demand a ceasefire in Palestine and the hypocrisy of our current government. However, it is without a doubt that the crowd is truly brought together when Bobby introduces ‘Pulled Pork’ by leading a chant throughout the crowd: “A-C-A-B All Cops Are Bastards”. The O2 Institute may have seen many faces and political beliefs in its past, but this evening, this room is a haven for anyone who has ever felt oppressed by the unjust policing system in this country. A Bob Vylan show is a celebration of the beauty that comes with being angry at the injustices this world brings to our people, and one track that truly brings this to light is the one that brought the duo the attention they deserved: ‘We Live Here’.  Before performing this track, Bobby and Bobbie take a moment to thank the fans for showing so much love when the video blew up on social media.

If you want tips on how to be a good ally, look no further than Bob Vylan

As a person of colour and child of immigrants, this song is especially meaningful to me, with lyrics such as: “free to go where I like if I look like I belong / If not, f*ck off / go on boy move along” and the famed “we didn’t appear out of thin air / we live her”. As raw and heartfelt as Bobby’s performance is, I can’t help but have an unfortunately bittersweet taste in my mouth during this song’s live performance. Bobby, like me, has experienced how harsh and bigoted the English people can be towards black and brown members of the population. To hear his voice scream such powerful lyrics on the matter and to scream them with him is truly empowering. However, an uncomfortable feeling takes over when I turn around to see many white members of the crowd screaming “WE LIVE HERE” at the top of their lungs. Some would even point at themselves as if they can begin to relate to the feeling. If I can give any advice to white people who are going to support a band of POC, I’d ask you to think about the words you are screaming. It’s amazing to see Bob Vylan get the wide range of support he deserves, but to see the faces of the oppressors co-opt a phrase used against the oppressed is uncomfortable, to say the least.

If you want tips on how to be a good ally, look no further than Bob Vylan. Midway through the set, Bobby speaks about how many times he has seen women emerge from his mosh pits with broken noses and black eyes. He points out that this is clearly due to the physical power imbalance that men pose on women and non-binary people at punk shows. What’s Bob’s solution to this problem? A strictly no-men mosh pit. This was especially fitting as it was during ‘He’s A Man’. There’s nothing better than moshing with other women whilst shouting “just another day in the life of a big dumb man”. The energy in that pit was one of rage and camaraderie.

The final song of the night was none other than ‘Wicked & Bad.’ This song needs no introduction, and anyone in that (now very sweaty) room can tell that it is an absolute fan favourite. ‘Wicked & Bad’ captures the true essence of Bob Vylan, from a grime-y beat and distorted guitars to lyrics that capture the pains of the working class. The best was truly saved for last. Paired with crowd surfing and pyrotechnics, the fans are not just spectators, they are part of the mad action that is Bob Vylan.

Bob Vylan truly left a beautiful mark on Brum and its people. An important project that unapologetically speaks for itself and doesn’t need the help of a live band to bring every member of the audience out of their shell.

There’s only one thing left to say…“VIVA LA VYLAN!”

★★★★★