Image: Warwick Media Library

Warwick SU staff paid below Real Living Wage

In the summer of 2021, Warwick’s Student Union (SU) passed a motion by a 528-vote margin to pay all SU employees the Real Living Wage.

The Real Living Wage is set based on how much money people generally need to cover living costs. As calculated by the Living Wage Foundation, the Real Living is currently £10.90 for those outside London and £11.95 in London.

However, The Boar News was contacted by an SU employee who provided concrete evidence that the Students’ Union has continued to pay them below the Real Living Wage, two years on from the motion’s passage.

The SU employee’s payslip demonstrated that the basic rate of pay is £9.60 an hour, an increase from £8.72 in 2022. This amount is below the Real Living Wage promised in the 2021 SU motion.

It’s definitely not enough for me to live off, and I want to ask for back pay for the last two years from the SU

Warwick Students’ Union employee

Regarding this, the student, who often works in T-Bar and at the Copper Rooms during Pop!, said: “It’s definitely not enough for me to live off, and I want to ask for back pay for the last two years from the SU.”

Following further investigation, an advert calling for more SU staff was found online and confirmed that the hourly rate for students aged 23 and above is £10.42.

However, it is only £10.18 for students aged 21-22 and £9.60 for students aged 18-20.

The students who contacted The Boar News about this issue emphasised the frustration they feel dealing with a Students’ Union that “does not follow through on the motions they passed in previous years”.

“I am also a little discouraged because I now know I am getting paid less just because I am younger, regardless of responsibility”

Warwick Students’ Union employee

Additionally, working for the SU can be a burden. A fourth-year student who regularly works at Pop! commented on how it “affects [her] studies, and because we work with students, they get drunk and try to overstep their bounds.” 

She added: “I am also a little discouraged because I now know I am getting paid less just because I am younger, regardless of responsibility.”  

The Boar News has asked Warwick Students’ Union for comment however, they are yet to respond.