Image: Shutterstock / John Gomez

Student groups across the UK accused of ‘glorifying’ Hamas attacks on Israel

Student groups at multiple universities across the UK have been accused of “glorifying” Hamas’ attacks on Israel.

It follows Suella Braverman’s warning that support for the banned terrorist group would be punished.

Palestine societies at the University of Warwick, University College London, and the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) have released statements on social media outlining their views on the attacks.

On October 8, Warwick Action for Palestine took to Instagram, describing the attacks as “Gaza’s resistance against a 75-year-old military colonial occupation.” They added: “We stand in solidarity with Gaza, the martyrs, and the resistance to this vile occupation.”

The post also made comments about the “vile hypocrisy of our University”, openly critiquing the University of Warwick’s connections to Rolls-Royce and Moog. Warwick Action for Palestine argues that the two firms have developed “thousands of military aircraft” for Israel’s military, who they say “murder, oppress, and subordinate Palestinians”.

Elsewhere, the Justice for Palestine Society at University College London appeared to endorse a quote from Ismail Haniyeh, the Leader of Hamas. The post appears to have been taken down.

Jewish campus leaders have come forward and openly expressed fears for the safety of Jewish students.

The Union of Jewish Students (UJS) has urged university and students’ union leaders to “take harsh action against this despicable celebration of violence”.

We urge the universities and students’ unions where these societies are registered to take harsh action against this despicable celebration of violence

Guy Dabby-Joory, Head of Campaigns at the UJS

Speaking to The Telegraph, Guy Dabby-Joory, Head of Campaigns at the UJS, said:

“Thousands of Jewish students across the country have spent the past two days checking up on their family and friends in Israel, and bracing themselves for a wave of antisemitism on British campuses.

“Meanwhile, their fellow students leading these societies have glorified and celebrated the murder and kidnap of hundreds of innocent men, women and children by a terrorist group proscribed in the UK.

“We urge the universities and students’ unions where these societies are registered to take harsh action against this despicable celebration of violence.”

The Boar has contacted The University of Warwick, Warwick Students’ Union, Warwick Action for Palestine, and Warwick Jewish Society for comment.