Image: Finn Chadwick / The Boar

Flooding on Gibbet Hill Road diverts campus traffic

One of the two main roads into Warwick Campus was flooded yesterday from around noon until late in the evening.  

Cars were seen mounting the curb to avoid the deepest parts of the water in the centre of the road, and some turned around to avoid the road altogether.  

As we continue to monitor the impact of the heavy downpours, our priority is to keep students, staff and members of the public safe

Mark Kennell, Head of Community Safety and Security, University of Warwick

Warwick University’s Head of Community Safety and Security, Mark Kennell, stated: “The Community Safety team pro-actively reported the issue on the public road to Coventry City Council this morning during a routine patrol. As we continue to monitor the impact of the heavy downpours, our priority is to keep students, staff and members of the public safe.” 

The University has chosen to go ahead with today’s open day and posted on social media: “The weather forecast shows an easing to light wind and light rain.  

“Flooding may occur in localised areas across the region. We advise visitors, staff, and students to wrap up warm, bring an umbrella, and take care on their journey to and from campus.”  

Nirmit Jobanputra, who drove into campus yesterday, told The Boar: “I let a few cars on the opposite side of the road onto my side so they could avoid the flood.”

“There was a massive jam coming out of university because of it.” 

Another student, Freya Bennewith, told The Boar that she was worried that the water “was going to be deep enough to do damage to the mechanics of the car”

The flooding comes after Storm Babet struck Britain yesterday, leaving three dead and 40,000 homes without power. One of the fatalities was in the West Midlands in the town of Cleobury Mortimer, 50 miles from Warwick University campus.  

As of this morning, the road was clear, and traffic was flowing as normal. Rain is forecast for most of the next week but should become lighter as Storm Babet moves away. 

Images: Finn Chadwick / The Boar