Image: Wikimedia Commons

The needle in a Hay-stack: Finding my perfect book in Hay-on-Wye

As an avid reader, stepping out onto the streets of Hay-on-Wye was an exciting and well-overdue experience. I had visited the famous Hay Festival with my school friends many times but had never had the opportunity to explore the self-proclaimed “Town of Books”. With its eclectic and charming brickwork, bright bunting strung across the streets, and whimsical market stalls, Hay is picture-perfect for curling up with a good book found in one of its many independent bookshops. After my own visit, my “to-read pile” had expanded quite considerably, despite only looking at a few bookshops in the town! What is it, then, that makes Hay such a brilliant place for finding your next favourite book or expanding your reading horizons? What is it that gives it its eccentric yet alluring atmosphere?

The answer to this question lies in the history of the town, and how it has come to be the flagship area for bookworms around the world. The founding of Hay as the “Town of Books” began with the establishment of Richard Booth’s second-hand bookshop in 1962, with other businesses soon following suit a few years later. Due to the large number of competitive bookstores, booksellers had the opportunity to specialise in differing niches. Today, Hay boasts a variety of bookshops, including, but not limited to, a poetry bookshop, a children’s bookshop, and a murder mystery store. My personal highlight from when I visited was Richard Booth’s bookshop, which is still running today. The shop spans over three floors, has an unparalleled selection of genres, and is home to many cosy reading nooks for customers which I certainly took advantage of! It is no wonder that I spent over an hour in this shop alone – its creaky floorboards and vintage signs reminded me of the charm of Hogwarts’ library or the Mayor’s library in The Book Thief.

Having a diverse mix of one-of-a-kind bookshops means that a visit to Hay is a unique experience, unable to be matched elsewhere

It is the unique characteristics of each of these independent bookshops that makes Hay so perfect for finding your next best book. Having a diverse mix of one-of-a-kind bookshops means that a visit to Hay is a unique experience, unable to be matched elsewhere. The array of these bookshops’ specialisms makes it much easier to find what you are looking for, or to explore a different genre or author, with this wide variety of small businesses giving Hay a quirky and special feel. The sheer quantity of books available is overwhelming, in a wonderful, exhilarating way of course, as there are so many hidden gems to be discovered and bestsellers to peruse. It almost feels like you are trying to find a needle in a Hay-stack! Books spark conversation and connection in Hay, whether it be with friends and family pointing out old favourites, or a recommendation from the knowledgeable booksellers. Each seller is able to specialise in their chosen niche, which allows for a greater depth of knowledge in a specific area of literature. No bookish passion is too obscure – Hay celebrates an array of reading interests.

Hay is not only a “Town of Books” – it is a town of booksellers and booklovers alike, where reading is a culture that is celebrated and encouraged

This is why Hay shines as the “Town of Books”. Having such knowledgeable and enthusiastic experts, who are passionate about their specific literary niche, means that Hay is one of the best places to find personal recommendations. Hay is not only a “Town of Books” – it is a town of booksellers and booklovers alike, where reading is a culture that is celebrated and encouraged. Just being in this environment mirrors the feeling of finishing a really good book.

Hay-on-Wye is a unique town, situated in the beautiful Welsh countryside. Its charming character and great array of independent bookshops makes it a bookworm’s ideal destination. But it is thanks to the passionate booklovers who run these small businesses, and the eager readers who visit, that the area has a homely and warm feeling. For any booklover, literary enthusiast, or tourist, Hay-on-Wye, the renowned “Town of Books”, is certainly worth the visit.