Image: Matthew Randell

Spotify reconsidering platform exclusivity for podcasts? Scoop from The Podcast Show 2023

Wednesday 24 and Thursday 25 May saw the 2023 return of The Podcast Show, the podcasting industry’s largest business festival.

The event was held at the Business Design Centre in London, a suitable venue considering the two-day convention involved over 350 speakers.

Over the two days these speakers participated in over 150 sessions, keynotes, Q&As, and panel discussions. The event was aimed very much at professionals working in the podcasting industry.

While podcasting is still relatively new to the mainstream, it has attracted some celebrities from traditional media

While this did include podcasters, and the majority of attendees had their own podcasts, huge numbers of attendees and speakers work primarily in the advertising and marketing industries.

While podcasting is still relatively new to the mainstream, it has attracted some celebrities from traditional media, and several were in attendance in London last week to share their wisdom with the crowds. These include Russell Tovey, Katie Price, Adam Buxton, Giovanna Fletcher, Pete Wicks, Roman Kemp, and Katherine Ryan, amongst others.

The highlight resulting from The Boar’s on-the-ground journalism presence is the indication that Spotify may be reconsidering its approach of purchasing exclusive distribution rights.

In response to a question from a Boar journalist, Rowan Collinson, Global Functional Lead at Spotify’s Podcast Editorial department, explained that in an industry as fast-moving as podcasting has become, strategies need to change “nearly every week”.

See The Boar Podcasts section for more information about the event’s panels as well as the stalls on the convention floor.