Image: Karl York / The Boar
Image: Karl York / The Boar

New bubble tea shop opens on campus 

A new bubble tea shop has opened in the Warwick Students’ Union (SU) building. Owned by Jidong, the shop opened on 13 May 2023. 

A range of unique drinks are available, including milk tea, fruit tea, and herbal jelly drinks. The most expensive drinks are £5.50, and the cheapest ones are £4.10. Moreover, there is also a small selection of desserts available. 

The cups at Jidong are reusable and feature a unique design, making them very appealing to their student audience. 

There was a large crowd waiting to buy bubble tea during the grand opening, with some students queueing for over an hour for their drinks. Classic bubble tea was so popular amongst students that the shop ran out of tapioca pearls by mid-afternoon. 

One Warwick student said: “It’s not bad, it’s just not worth the queue to line up for.”  

Another student said: “The prices are average for bubble tea, so it isn’t too expensive.” Yoghurt, cheese cream, and custard are among some of the available toppings, which have been deemed unorthodox by some students.  

The shop will be open 11:00am–7:00pm every day of the week, including weekends. Based in Shanghai, Jidong opened its first UK location in 2019. They have over 2500 stores globally.