Image: Ben Morley/ The Boar

54% of students have seen or experienced classism on campus as SU series ‘Let’s Talk About Classism’ ends

Warwick Students’ Union’s (SU) Part Time Officer for Widening Participation (WP), Kieran Barry, recently organised an event series called ‘Let’s Talk About Classism’ in conjunction with the SU. It aimed to bring together students and discuss the impact that having a low socioeconomic status can have at the University of Warwick. 

Speaking to The Boar, Barry detailed his own experiences and why he felt the need for a classism campaign: “Ever since I started at Warwick, I have been really conscious of my background — whether that be my accent, the culture attached with being from the North East, or simply having less money than others. 

“I found a lot of solace in the 93% Club at Warwick, as a community of people that had these similar backgrounds and experiences, and it made me feel more like I ‘belonged’ within the environment.” 

Beginning to pick up on “classist comments” in social and study spaces on campus, he found that “a lot of other students had experienced the same thing, but it was never something that was challenged or talked about too much and was often played off as a joke or dismissed entirely.” 

Although classism cannot be defined easily, it can be divided into two categories: direct and indirect. The SU website notes that direct classism involves “microaggressions and other forms of discrimination against members of the Widening Participation community” — for example, “calling an individual ‘poor’, equating working-class individuals with lower intelligence”, or “associating certain classes with cultures of violence”. Indirect classism is more subtle, involving “unequal access to certain opportunities”, particularly due to financial difficulties. 

The website goes on to state that: “Classism, much like any other form of prejudice or discrimination, often holds a mix of institutional, embedded causes, but also often can find itself woven unintentionally into everyday life.” 

We also found that social and economic disadvantage often hampered any chance to move out. Accent is part of this, alongside cultural capital and social networks

–Former Lead Commissioner for Schools and Higher Education for the Social Mobility Commission, Sammy Wright

In a Boar News poll, it was found that 54% of Warwick students had personally seen or experienced classism on campus — the topic appeared divisive among participants. The issue is not exclusive to Warwick alone, with evidence suggesting that it is “particularly prevalent among Russell Group Universities”.

Then-Lead Commissioner for Schools and Higher Education for the Social Mobility Commission, Sammy Wright, commented on classism and accent prejudice to The Guardian in 2020: “[…] we also found that social and economic disadvantage often hampered any chance to move out. Accent is part of this, alongside cultural capital and social networks.” 

One student, sharing anonymously with the Boar News, claimed they were “mocked for having to work a job throughout [their] degree due to financial difficulties.” 

They could never understand why I had to work so much and used to joke about the fact that I was on Universal Credit

–Anonymous Student

Another student stated: “I have never felt so alienated as I do at Uni. At home everyone is like me, but at uni I don’t fit in whatsoever.” 

However, not everyone agrees; one Warwick undergraduate said that: “Having come from a non-selective state comprehensive school and coming from a low-income household for the vast majority of my life, I have to say that I have never experienced any form of classism on Campus. 

“I’m even in a society that’s been claimed to be ‘classist’ and I’ve never experienced anything of the sort. Everyone I’ve met whilst at uni has been very welcoming and very friendly, if there is classism here I’m yet to see it.” 

On the SU website page for the event series, a virtual bulletin board was created to allow students to share their experiences. One student suggested that: “I have realised it is better to avoid discussing certain topics that may show my working class upbringing, being raised by a single parent.” 

Another similarly claimed they: “Can’t afford the same lifestyle as my friends and was constantly judged for not being able to ask my parents for money or buy a bottle of champagne for pres. They could never understand why I had to work so much and used to joke about the fact that I was on Universal Credit.” 

One student even shared a story of ‘reverse classism’: “A lot of times in my life I have been shamed for coming from a middle-class family. My achievements have been diminished and I was told that all my progression in education and career is due to being privileged.” 

‘Let’s Talk About Classism’ offered the following events this term: a ‘free pizza’ social; a talk from Lee Elliott Major OBE, Britain’s first-ever Professor of Social Mobility; a panel meeting with Barry himself and other Warwick individuals; as well as discussion of the impact of class on labour market prospects with Sarah Atkinson: CEO of the Social Mobility Foundation. 

Organisers also published several videos on Warwick SU’s TikTok and Instagram to raise awareness of their campaign and the experiences of students from underprivileged backgrounds.

Three videos were released, giving students the opportunity to describe how they define classism and share their own personal stories, particularly in relation to financial difficulties and having jobs as students outside of the traditional aspirational corporate internships. 
Barry states that the aim of the series is “to start a conversation about what classism looks like, in a bid for people to start to take it more seriously”. 

When asked whether the campaign has any plans beyond the term, Barry revealed: “The lesser-known bits of the campaign, I think, are probably the most impactful ones. 

Facilitating honest conversation about what classism looks like at Warwick and its scale is the first step in enabling a proactive shift away from this exclusionary culture

–Warwick Students’ Union

“Alongside that, there has been a few actions on my side behind-the-scenes to start integrating these conversations more in the university. I have been talking to Report and Support about more additions to their system to account for class and cultural backgrounds, and they aim to continue to add and advertise socioeconomic additions to the form. 

“I am also having conversations with some senior leaders of the university surrounding training for Personal Tutors surrounding financial and socioeconomic concerns of students and will be joining in on reforms to Warwick Values to add additional content surrounding class and socioeconomic backgrounds.” 

Speaking to The Boar, Warwick SU has stated: “Kieran’s hard work on the ‘Let’s Talk About Classism’ campaign has helped to illuminate the breadth and depth of experiences encountered by students from WP, working class, or lower socio-economic backgrounds at Warwick.  

“Facilitating honest conversation about what classism looks like at Warwick and its scale is the first step in enabling a proactive shift away from this exclusionary culture which should have no place in our student community.” 

A Boar News poll found that 40% of students believe that the ‘Let’s Talk About Classism’ series will have a positive effect on campus. However, short-term goals are not on Barry’s mind, as he stated: “I have potentially more hopes than expectations, as I know that these conversations are new and change surrounding it will happen over time. 

“But I really do hope that it begins to start some conversations surrounding classism at the university, allows people to identify instances of classism where it happens (even if it played off as a joke or insignificant), and perhaps encourages people to feel more open telling others about instances of classism happening which made them feel uncomfortable.” 

Although Warwick’s student body appears divided on the topic, it is clear that Barry and Warwick SU intend to raise awareness of classism and eradicate feelings of alienation that students from WP backgrounds may face. ‘Let’s Talk About Classism’ has supported students from all widening participation backgrounds and allowed for discourse on a subject that is often neglected at higher education institutions.  

Guided by a ‘no student left behind’ approach, the campaign has fostered awareness of a pressing issue and opened the doors to discussion of a topic that is dismissed all too often at Warwick. As an event series determined to make a difference through encouraging dialogue and validating students’ experiences of classism, its launch of public forums has aided in ensuring Warwick heads in the right direction.  

The Warwick 93% Club, which represents students from state school backgrounds, have declined to comment.