Harry Kane
Wikimedia Commons/ Кирилл Венедиктов

The perfect signing for Manchester United

This season has been full of personal landmarks for Harry Kane. He has become the all-time top scorer for both Tottenham Hotspur and England. His tally of 28 league goals (prior to the final day) would win the Golden Boot in most seasons, if it was not for the phenomenon in Erling Haaland.

As ever with Harry Kane, the discussion quickly moves to his trophy cabinet. An empty space, unless a pre-season victory in the Audi Cup counts.

This is one of England’s greatest ever players, but his haul of trophies is non-existent. He has come close at times. A EURO final for his country; a league cup final defeat; a champions league defeat, but never victory.

Kane for all his brilliance has represented both a club and country allergic to winning competitions. England have impressed in recent tournaments, but still have a dismal record against the top nations in the world.

Spurs impressed for several years under Pochettino, but couldn’t win the league in one of the weakest seasons in memory, when Leicester pulled off the impossible.

Guardiola’ imperious Manchester City attempted to sign Harry Kane, but Levy rebuffed those efforts. Although the arrival of Erling Haaland removed any desire to sign Kane, their Mancunian neighbours are in a desperate need of a striker.

United have limped through parts of this season, in large part due to their striking struggles. A 37-year-old Ronaldo, injury prone Martial, then Burnley’s Weghorst.

Levy is under significant pressure after a dismal season, involving three managers, with the only real positive being the continued brilliance of Harry Kane

It is well publicised ten Hag will enter the market for a number nine this summer, and Harry Kane is the perfect fit.

Kane wants to remain in England as he pursues Shearer’s Premier League record. Joining ten Hag’s United will allow him to do that, while increasing his chances of winning trophies.

United won the League Cup and find themselves in the FA Cup final in ten Hag’s first season. The progress in the side is significant, they are set for Champions League football, while the prospect of exciting new ownership looms.

The squad being built at Old Trafford is primed for a title race in the next couple of years. Varane, Shaw, Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno Fernandes form a core part of the team all in their prime years.

Although Kane would not help improve the longevity of the time, he would provide instant goals for a side seemingly being assembled to win the league in the next couple of seasons.

A move to Old Trafford appears a perfect fit for all parties, except for Spurs and Daniel Levy.

Levy is under significant pressure after a dismal season, involving three managers, with the only real positive being the continued brilliance of Harry Kane.

Kane has a year left on his contract, giving Spurs a difficult decision. Do they keep their talisman and risk him leaving on a free, or do they use this summer to cash in and rebuild?

Whatever Spurs want to do, if Manchester United go all out for Harry Kane, they will struggle to keep him.