Launch of a new section of The Boar: Podcasts. Read now at theboar.org/podcasts

Launch of a new section: Podcasts

Hi, I’m Matt. I like podcasts.  

One of the things I like most about podcasts is how they are discovered. Unlike TV and film, podcasts did not traditionally come to you. You had to seek them out. 

My journey into podcasts was a slow one, beginning in the summer of 2014 with me sitting at my desk staring at a browser window playing episode one of Welcome to Night Vale – a recommendation from a girlfriend at the time. Fast forward to Christmas that year when I wanted stimulus that didn’t require looking up from my ferocious loom-banding (remember those?), and I try out The Rooster Teeth Podcast, again in my laptop browser window. It isn’t until sixth form in 2015 that my friend explains to me how podcasts actually work and recommends me my third show: Hello Internet.  

In a world where Obama and Bruce Springsteen have a podcast together, anything is possible, and I truly believe there’s something out there for everyone 

Hello Internet ended abruptly a few years ago, but nine years later those other two shows are still going, and I still listen, alongside dozens of others. Since then, podcasts have skyrocketed in popularity. There remain comedy shows by random people you’ve never heard of podcasting from their bedroom, but there are also podcasts by some of the world’s finest professional comedians. In a world where Obama and Bruce Springsteen have a podcast together, anything is possible, and I truly believe there’s something out there for everyone. 

We are all very excited to officially launch The Boar Podcasts Section

I started writing about podcasts in 2017, using a personal blog to publish a guide on how to get started with a podcast app, along with a review of all the shows I was listening to at the time. I updated this in 2020, and since 2021 have partaken in ‘Newpodanuary’ – a challenge I created where I try out and review a new podcast every day of January. I had written for The Boar Music, Games, and Books, all the time really wanting to write about podcasts but being unsure where it would fit. Well, nobody else will ever have that problem again, because we are all very excited to officially launch The Boar Podcasts Section.  

We have so many pitch ideas ready to go, from individual podcast reviews to live events, inter-section collaborations, and broader comments/debates on this incredibly diverse and accessible audio medium. So, whether you’ve been listening for as long as me, or have only just begun your foray into podcast, please do keep an eye on our social media pages if you’re interested in writing for us. And if writing isn’t for you, we appreciate your support and hope you’re as excited to read The Boar Podcasts as we are to be making it.