Image: Warwick Media Library

SU announces a decrease in prices at Rootes Grocery Store following Government intervention

At midday, April 1, Warwick Students’ Union (SU) announced that it would decrease prices for all Rootes Grocery Store products. This price decrease comes after the Office for Students (OfS) filed a complaint against the SU earlier in the day.

Price decreases include Croissants in the bakery costing 89p, as compared to the previous £1.15 charge, Chicken Tikka Masala curry costing £1, as compared to the previous £1.89, and most drastically, representing a price decrease of 66%, a pack of Cadbury’s Milk Chocolate costing 69p, compared to the previous price of £1.59.

The OfS cites a variety of complaints against the SU, including the lack of other store availabilities, leading to monopolisation at the SU, claims of financial incentivisation from The Co-operative Group at the store, as well as other claims relating to antisocial behaviour at the premise of the shop.

In a special press release provided to The Boar, the SU hurls back at the OfS, exclaiming: “Our stores represent the finest of quality in the West Midlands. As a students’ union which represents some of the brightest minds in the country, we are shocked, appalled and overall angered with the OfS’ decision to do this.

“While we will accept these price changes currently, this will be an issue which we will take very seriously. We have no idea why anyone would be unhappy with our business model, after all, why not let students eat cake?”

The Incoming Societies Vice President for the SU, Max Pike, independently told The Boar: “Perfectly balanced as all things should be.”