Image: Warwick Astronomy Society - Baidandri Saha

Showcasing Astronomy Society’s student photography

Warwick Astronomy Society have been hard at work since October capturing dazzling images of the night sky. Presented here are some of AstroSoc’s best photography from this academic year.

83% Waxing Gibbous Moon

Taken by Baidandri Saha (4 Nov 22) using the Sky-Watcher Classic 250P Dobsonian. Best 360/1200 frames stacked in AutoStakkert.

Full Moon

Taken by Baidandri Saha (6 Feb 23). Edited and stacked in PIPP and AutoStakkert.

The Sun during a partial eclipse

Taken by Baidandri Saha (25 Oct 22) using a Coronado Personal Solar Telescope with a built-in 1.0 angstrom hydrogen-alpha bandpass. The image shows distinct solar prominences around the sun, visible sunspots, and surface structures as well as the eclipse shadow. Edited and stacked in PIPP and AutoStakkert.

Bird flying across the Sun

Taken by Baidandri Saha (25 Oct 22) using a Coronado Personal Solar Telescope with a built-in 1.0 angstrom hydrogen-alpha bandpass. The image is rotated by 180 degrees and shows the coincidental incident of a bird flying across the Sun during the eclipse.

The full Sun

Taken by Baidandri Saha (28 Nov 22). Four sunspots and solar prominences around the edges are visible. The image is not edited.

Jupiter

Taken by Baidandri Saha (21 Aug 22). Two faint moons are visible along with Jupiter and its bands. Best 30/150 frames stacked in PIPP and AutoStakkert.

The Milky Way and Andromeda

Taken by Ben Godson (Nov 22) during a research visit to La Palma. The image shows the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxy, and is the result of combining two hours of exposures taken with a mirrorless camera and a mount designed to counter the rotation of the sky. The red clouds at the bottom of the image are the Heart and Soul nebulae, two stellar nurseries where young and hot stars illuminate the surrounding hydrogen gas.

Comet C/2022 E3 ZTF 

Taken by Ben Godson (unknown date). The image is a combination of photos over five minutes and the motion of the comet is visible as a streak inside the cloud of emitted gas.