New Royal Leamington Spa edition of Monopoly to be launched

Following a decisive win in a West Midlands ‘beauty contest’, Royal Leamington Spa has been selected to have its very own version of the traditional board game Monopoly.

In a region-wide shortlist, including Warwick, Solihull and Telford, Leamington came out on top after being reviewed in the categories of ‘pride’, ‘beauty’, ‘sense of community’ and ‘distinct heritage’.

With the town’s celebrated Royal Pump Rooms expected to secure Monopoly’s top-ranked square ‘Mayfair’, there is much speculation regarding which landmarks will be featured. Jephson Gardens, the Town Hall and the Royal Spa Centre are believed to make appearances.

The game will be themed by genres and feature a ‘travel’ set rather than the four traditional train stations in the classic London version.

Royal Leamington Spa has a plethora of leading landmarks to fill the board

– Ella Gibbs, Custom Games Executive at Winning Moves UK

A Royal Leamington Spa Monopoly Facebook page was established a week ago and is open until March 23 for suggestions from the general public regarding what roads or landmarks they would like to promote on the board. People are also being asked to nominate a charity to highlight in the game.

There is talk of a ‘silicon’ set even being produced in recognition of the thriving games industry in Leamington, which led to the nickname ‘Silicon Spa’ and represents an estimated ten per cent of the UK’s video games market.

MONOPOLY: Royal Leamington Spa Edition will be produced by the London-based games company Winning Moves UK and will be available to buy from October 2023.

Custom Games Executive at Winning Moves UK, Ella Gibbs, says: “Royal Leamington Spa has a plethora of leading landmarks to fill the board. We expect to be wonderfully spoiled for choice putting this game together.”

The Mayor of Royal Leamington Spa, Councillor Nick Wilkins, announced: “Royal Leamington Spa is steeped with history, having been made “Royal” by Her Majesty Queen Victoria in 1838. Our town is famous for its fabulous Regency architecture and outstanding parks.

“I’m delighted with the national recognition MONOPOLY has bestowed on us, with us beating off other very worthy towns. Putting the town, I proudly serve, Royal Leamington Spa, squarely on the Monopoly map!”

Wilkins also stated that he would like for the mayoral car to feature as a playing piece.

It is fabulous that our town will be celebrated in such a high-profile game in this Coronation year

– Stephanie Kerr, Executive Director of BID Leamington

Councillor Mini Kaur Mangat, Chair of Warwick District Council, said: “It’s really exciting that Royal Leamington Spa has been selected as a location for the famous game of Monopoly.

“I very much hope that the new edition not only captures our rich history, beautiful parks and buildings, but also the highly creative, innovative and culturally diverse town we see today.”

Stephanie Kerr, Executive Director of BID Leamington, stated: “It is fabulous that our town will be celebrated in such a high-profile game in this Coronation year. It is also fitting that we are home to incredible games development talent and innovative board game cafés such as ‘The Dice Box’.

“We are really looking forward to seeing the final board take shape following the nomination of squares.”

• great to hear monopoly is going to have one i have lived in leamington spa all my life dave delia