Image: D K/Flickr

Amazon workers announce further industrial escalation

GMB union workers at Amazon have announced a second round of industrial action against the company. 

This follows earlier industrial action against Amazon in January which marked the first ever UK strike against the multi-national tech firm.  

GMB union demands a pay rise from £10.50 to £15 per hour, citing growing cost-of-living concerns, as well as the record-breaking profits the firm achieved. Between 2019 and 2020, profits reached $21.3bn and reached $33.3bn the year afterwards. 

Amazon does not recognise GMB as a union and therefore will not enter pay negotiations with GMB union representatives. This has not inclined employees away from considering striking in other branches as GMB members in Tilbury, Essex, have begun holding discussions on balloting. 

In a video-tweet on 13 February when strikes where announced, GMB Union official for West Midlands Stuart Richards said: “GMB Union members at [Coventry] are in dispute with their employer – they’re fighting for decent pay.  

“We’ve already taken one day of industrial action but so far Amazon bosses even refuse to discuss the concerns that our members have … our members feel angry. Angry that they’re still being paid the worst at any Amazon site in the UK.” 

Amazon bosses can stop this industrial action by doing the right thing and negotiating a proper pay rise with workers

Amanda Gearing, Senior GMB organiser

Senior GMB organiser Amanda Gearing added that: “This unprecedented week-long strike shows the anger among Amazon workers in Coventry. 

“They work for one of the richest companies in the world, yet they have to work round the clock to keep themselves afloat. It’s sickening that Amazon workers in Coventry will earn just 8 pence above the NMW (National Minimum Wage) in April 2023. 

“Amazon bosses can stop this industrial action by doing the right thing and negotiating a proper pay rise with workers.” 

These strikes will take place on 28 February, 2 March, and between 13 and 17 March.