Student starting at laptop with stickers on back of screen.

Warwick SU cost-of-living survey reveals 86% of students have had to cut back on spending

A survey run by Warwick Students’ Union (SU) has found that most students have reduced their spending due to the cost-of-living crisis.

86% of students agreed with the statement “I have needed to cut back on spending to cover living costs.”

Meanwhile, 39% of students made a statement to the effect that they could not afford all necessary bills and living costs.

68% of students disagreed with the statement “I can afford to purchase food and drink on campus.”

59% of students said that they had to work alongside their studies to cover their living costs. Meanwhile, the SU indicated that 30% of students have had to use credit cards and services such as Klarna and PayPay Credit since the start of the 2022 academic year.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to make progress on several provisions for students

Warwick SU website

The survey highlighted issues around the hardship fund provided by the University. Only 20% of students agreed that their applications to the hardship were effectively supported. 

“Additionally… students mentioned that the process [of applying] felt invasive, added stress, and they felt the reasons behind their rejection from the hardship fund was unfair.”

The survey was taken towards the end of 2022. Results were published in January 2023.  

Warwick SU website says: “We have been pushing for various solutions from the University, such as an increase in the accessibility and size of the hardship fund, subsidising food and drink on campus, and increasing support for PGR students. 

“Unfortunately, we have been unable to make progress on several provisions for students; we feel that there is a perception within the University that students have not been widely financially struggling during the cost-of-living crisis. Sadly, the results are bleak.”

The University announced a £3.5 million package to support students and staff towards the end of 2022.