Elliot Bellman mid-kick in an interclub fight
Image: Elliot Bellman

Club Spotlight: Warwick Thai Boxing Society

Martial arts societies are extremely popular at university, and it’s not hard to see why. There is a plethora of reasons to get involved, whether you are looking for a unique way to get fit, a confidence builder, an emotional outlet, or just a fun environment to learn and grow as part of a community, combat sports tend to have something for everyone.

Some of the most popular forms include Karate, Judo, and Boxing, but Thai Boxing is one of the most diverse and, in my opinion, exciting disciplines out there.

There is no shortage of options in Thai Boxing. As former society president Julian Jaggs says: “Thai Boxing is known as the art of eight limbs because you utilise your hands, elbows, knees, and feet to strike.

“Also, clinching is an integral part of the sport and is comprised of sweeps, knees, framing and more.”

The wide range of possible approaches to combat situations, as well as the versatility on offer, is one of the most appealing things about Thai Boxing, even disregarding all the other obvious benefits of taking part in martial arts.

Not only that, but it is very straightforward to get involved, and perhaps equally simple to delve deeper into. As Julian goes on to note: “it is an easy sport to start and an even easier sport to get lost in. There is a lot of knowledge and technique lying just beneath the sport’s surface.”

I joined Thai Boxing society at the start of 2022, and I instantly fell in love with the sport. Despite entering a room full of experienced fighters as a beginner, everyone was very welcoming and accommodating for my comparative lack of skill, offering me helpful advice and pointers along the way that helped me rapidly improve.

“Warwick Thai Boxing offers an inclusive, safe, and open environment in which both beginners and the more experienced are welcome to have fun, train, and create lasting memories within a steadfast community,” Julian says.

Thai boxing has given me great memories, great mates, decent fights and one or two bruises

– Julian Jaggs

“The executive committee are open, friendly, kind, and understanding, for they too were once beginners, and understand the pressures and nervousness that comes with trying a new sport – a combat sport, at that.”

As the society is primarily student-led, at no point did I feel pressured or uncomfortable. As Julian rightly states, the executive committee are always lovely, and always ready to help out when required.

After the initial inevitable awkwardness felt when beginning something new, my mind was put to rest as I recognised that everyone in the Sports Hub Combat Room had a common cause. We may all have different reasons and motivations for being there, but ultimately, we all want to achieve something through our involvement with the sport.

The Thai Boxing Exec make a point of being as inclusive as possible, as well, creating numerous initiatives like Women’s Only sessions, Back to Basics classes, and Bootcamp in order to facilitate engagement across the board.

If you are more socially inclined, the society also hosts a range of frequent social events that only serve to build the community further.

“There is more to the Thai Boxing society than simply training – it has an avid and robust social life that incorporates a range of social activities from fight nights, circling, attending seminars and movie nights to name but a few.

“We have previously held a domestic and international tour that we seek to continue to run.”

As such, there truly is something for everyone at Warwick Thai Boxing, including the opportunity to compete against universities from across the country. Whether you want to step into the ring or support from the side lines, interclub bouts and fight nights will always be a thrilling occasion and a fantastic opportunity for all members of the society.

I’ve personally loved my time as a part of the society thus far and look forward to getting even more involved heading into my third year at Warwick.

On a sweet closing note from Julian: “Thai boxing has given me great memories, great mates, decent fights and one or two bruises.”