University of Warwick’s Director of Wellbeing resigns

The Director of Wellbeing & Safeguarding at the University of Warwick, Hannah Friend, has resigned. 

Dr Friend was appointed in 2018, and she was heavily involved in developing the 2020-24 Wellbeing Strategy. 

She was notably responsible for significant reform to the structure of Mental Health and Wellbeing services, emphasising prevention and partnerships with external providers.  

She was also involved in developing the proposal to scrap the Residential Life Team (RLT). The proposed reforms have received opposition from both staff and students. 

According to some sources, three senior staff in the Wellbeing department quit prior to the resignation of Dr Friend. However, the University has said that the resignation of Friend and these three staff was “unrelated”. 

More details are yet to emerge, but Warwick has issued the following statement: “We would like to place on record our thanks to Hannah for playing such a key role in transforming our wellbeing services to ensure they reflect the changing needs of our student community.

“Under her leadership, we are now helping more students than at any time in our history, with simpler and more flexible access to a wider range of services, training, and specialist support. This includes a 24/7 support helpline every day of the year for students as well as ‘walk in’ consultations with trained advisors with wait times of typically 15 minutes or less. 

“We wish Hannah the best of luck in her new role. The process of finding a high quality replacement will begin shortly.”