Image: Wikimedia Commons/Mehdi Bolourian

Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool’s most important signing

On 29 April, Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp extended his contract with the club to 2026.

Just last month, the German had hinted that he intended to take a break from the sport, so this news comes as a welcome surprise for Liverpool supporters.

Liverpool fans owe a lot to Klopp’s wife, Ulla, as the manager said that she was instrumental in changing his perspective on the contract.

“We sat at the kitchen table and she said ‘I can’t see us leaving in 2024’,” Klopp told LFCTV. Although the Liverpool manager stated candidly that his marriage was “the most important contract [he] signed in his life”, Klopp’s relationship with Liverpool Football Club might be considered by its supporters as an even greater partnership.

Klopp arrived on Merseyside in October 2015, following the sacking of Brendan Rodgers. The German had guided Borussia Dortmund to two consecutive Bundesliga titles and a historic domestic double in the 2011-12 season, which caught the eye of Fenway Sports Group.

FSG brought Klopp to Liverpool, and he arrived with a clear objective: “To change doubters to believers.” It is clear that, seven years on, Liverpool fans were right to believe.

Klopp brought with him a style of ‘heavy metal football’. His Liverpool side soon became characterised by its relentless gegenpressing and merciless counterattacks.

Klopp’s unfiltered passion may initially have compensated for his side’s eighth-place Premier League finish and Europa League Final loss in the 2015-16 season.

However, the integration of Pepijn Lijnders as assistant manager and Michael Edwards’ promotion to sporting director allowed Klopp to reinstate the once-lost Liverpool footballing identity.

Liverpool truly have Jürgen Klopp to thank for returning them to their golden sky

While Klopp has refined Liverpool beyond their primitive overzealous playing style, their undeniable passion remains deeply woven into the fabric of his players.

Constrained to a 4-2-3-1 formation due to the lack of pace of former striker, Christian Benteke, Klopp delved into the transfer market and changed to a 4-3-3. The signings of Sadio Mané and Mohamed Salah allowed Klopp to cultivate a side built on dynamism and tenacity.

The system focused on defending from the front, with a high-intensity press from the revered front three. Liverpool’s breathless football was a welcome change from the sluggish Liverpool side that fans had watched for many years.

The arrivals of Alisson and Virgil van Dijk gave the Reds stability at the back and allowed the fullbacks, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andrew Robertson, to find the front men with pinpoint accuracy.

Liverpool have since conceded the fewest Premier League goals in two consecutive seasons, taking home the league title in the first of these.

Klopp has led Liverpool to their sixth Champions League title and the club’s historic first Premier League title. The Reds amassed a club record total of 99 points and went on to win the Super Cup, their first Club World Cup and the Carabao Cup.

Liverpool are a club built on success and Klopp has vowed to create a “dynasty” for many years to come. Klopp’s win percentage of 61.39%, the highest of any Liverpool manager in history, will leave fans wishing he would stay beyond 2026.

According to Goal, Klopp’s contract will be worth £15 million each year, which is a small price to pay for one of the best managers — and football philosophers — in world football.

Liverpool fans will be delighted to have the German until 2026, who said, “I love our club and it’s the best place to be”. With contract talks initiated by Klopp himself, it is clear to see that there is a mutual love and admiration shared by the fans and the 54-year-old.

Liverpool Football Club suffered many difficult years before Klopp’s arrival. After enduring a storm of inadequacy and heartbreak, Liverpool truly have Jürgen Klopp to thank for returning them to their golden sky.